• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit in pain

Benjybunnyboo

Alpha Buck
What are the signs, as i know from reading some threads that buns hide their pain but how can i tell if Benjy and Widget are in pain.
I worry more about Widget as he is older, as ive had Ben since a baby and know him well, but ive had Widget a few months now and sometimes i can hear him grind his teeth when im at his hutch, but he will let me stroke him and pick him up.
Sometimes me and OH think he may be deaf, as he startles easily if he hasnt seen you and the other night when it was cold i covered them over and in the morn when i uncovered them, even tho i made noises to let them know i was there and not to scare them, Widget thumped and was nervous!. Widget hops around the garden and happy flops so maybe i worry for nothing. Im sorry this is a long one, but when i worry i worry lol.
Any help greatly appreciated:)

When a rabbit grinds its teeth normally they are enjoying getting stroked, equivalent to a cat purring.
When grinding in pain its a whole different noise, its much louder and the grind is heavy, you will definately recognise it. Rabbits are in severe pain if this happens.
Generally if buns are off their food, or very subdued, or have a sudden change in behaviour then those would be signs that something was up. x

Back