• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petplan and Dental? Vegetables?

pol287

Warren Scout
We have just taken out insurance today for our 2 buns. The guy who sorted it for me said that they had to have an annual dental - is this just the routine check they get when having their vaccinations and health check, or is it more involved? :?

Also, having taken our buns to the vet for their jabs, we were told they were a little overweight!:oops: I have been really careful (or so I thought) in not feeding them too many treats, making sure they have plenty of hay and plenty of veg. However, the nurse said that really they should only have veg 2 or 3 times a week and preferably greens. I do give them rather a large bowl full of mixed veg - carrots, brussels, spring greens, broccoli, dwarf beans, rocket, spinach & kale, plus some herbs. The pellets we are using are SS.... can we get a 'light' version of this like you can with Excel? :roll:

We are new to the 'bunny world' and want to make sure we are doing the very best for our 2.

:)

How much do you feed them pellet wise? They should only be getting an egg cup full each a day :) If they get alot more at the moment, you will need to reduce it gradually. All my buns get a bowl of veg every afternoon, i generally only feed 'green' things. Carrots and any fruit try and keep them to once a week as they are high in sugar :)

How big is their hutch/run? Make sure theyre getting plenty of excercise :) I know its hard with some buns as they prefer to laze round all day :lol:

I cant help with regards to the dentals... my buns only ever have dental check ups when they have their vaccinations xXx

They are in a 6ft by 4ft double hutch. We have just bought a 6ft by 5ft run and covered it so they still can have a run outside in the winter. When the weather is nice they are allowed free run on our back yard and a couple of hours supervised on the lawn where they have a good run around and eat plenty of grass!
I tend to give them a full dish of pellets between them (you know the proper brown crockery rabbit dishes) - just once a day. One is a Netherland dwarf the other is a Nethie cross so they aren't huge buns.
It's amazing really how you become 'into' rabbits! I have never really been an animal lover - but promised my daughter when she was 5 that she could have a bunny for her 10th birthday (hoping that she would forget!) - but she never! So in March we got an 8 week old Nethie whom we all grew so very fond of and then couldn't bear for her to be on her own, so we adopted a rescue bun last month from FF's. It is so lovely to see them together. Really want to look after them well :)

My vet said that the dental check at vaccination time is satisfactory with Petplan. This must be true as Pet plan coughed up fine when i claimed.

If you do make a claim, you vet has to fill in the paperwork and they will state bun has had checks and up to date vaccinations.

Sounds like a wee bit too much pellets to be honest, maybe try cutting back, but not a dramatic cut back, dont just stop feeding them :lol:

Thanks.
I must say how helpful I have found this forum since joining last month - people seem so knowledgable! :D

Back