• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really like your advice re. buck urination

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Thumper is a 4year old "dental & stasis" buck.
He's never drunk enough (not at all for years) so he passes scant very cloudy urine, but not true "sludge" - there are no white deposits on his poops.
He's had trouble weeing on & off recently. He goes into position, turns round to check but nothing's happened. He then passes poops. (Some are sizable fur balls at present) Only after pooping can he wee. His bladder isn't palpable.
Any ideas folks?

:wave: This happened a couple of years ago when we first adopted Nino. It was purely Kale related - getting him to hop around suddenly released whatever was preventing him from urinating and he was able to go, he was straining before this and unable to pass and looking quite agitated. Have you cut out/down all high calcium foods? Interestingly Judy, despite carrot tops being high in calcium I feed in abundance and they've never caused this issue, neither has other high calcium veg. (as you know I don't feed pellets at all). It was simply Kale and nothing else and we have never fed it since, it has never happened since. Bit of a long shot but wondering if it could be just 'one' thing you are feeding Thumps? :?

Have you tried offering his leaves freshly washed and still wet to get the extra fluids in to him? I find this very beneficial and it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference to amount of pure fluids drunk at other times.

You know too much already for any of my suggestions to be that helpful :oops: Sorry to hear Thumps is having issues :(

ETA he may also be excited and unable to concentrate on peeing? Rather like a child? Can I mention the 'N' word?:oops: I'm wondering if it might calm him down a bit. :?

Thank for your thoughts. Yes I've cut down all high calcium foods. He's basically on hay, tree leaves, wild plants, & herbs. He has probs when he hasn't had "N"! Like Nino he gets agitated, scrabbles & bites his towel, which is a sign he's cross/frustrated.
The main change is bigger poops, & massive fur balls. I wondered whether these were lying low down & blocking the bladder neck? but don't know if this can happen in buns.
I also wondered whether his urethra had narrowed down for some reason, cos he would have passed urine like this in the past no probs.
Just going for our evening run in the garden, back later.

:oops::oops::oops:
Just managed to get a really good look at the appropriate area! (Thumper's privates are strictly private!!!)
His scent glands are absolutely packed but non smelly. He's a remarkably non smelly boy though. Well they need a clean out anyway.
Does any one know if this can give problems weeing?

Oh dear I meant 'Neuter' :oops: :lol: But same thing really. Was wondering if it would calm him down a little and stop him getting so hot and bothered and consequently dehydrated? :?

:oops::oops::oops:
Just managed to get a really good look at the appropriate area! (Thumper's privates are strictly private!!!)
His scent glands are absolutely packed but non smelly. He's a remarkably non smelly boy though. Well they need a clean out anyway.
Does any one know if this can give problems weeing?

No not as far as I know. Nino's get blocked (common in dental buns according to Jane) I use a cotton bud dipped in sunflower/veg oil to loosen and scoop out the waxy substance. Sorry if anyone having supper! :oops::lol:

ETA mind you, they are the inguinal glands leading up to the inguinal canal I presume - perhaps if sufficiently blocked they could press on the urethra??:?

Thank you prettylupin. To clarify for others the "N" word is nooky = mounting his toy rabbit. He was too ill to neuter when young. (I gave him a toy rabbit when he reached adolescence to help any testosterone frustration although his behaviour was exemplary.) Recently he's gone off this too, but as you know I had to restrict access when he rubbed the fur off his hocks.
Even this spring the vet was unwilling to neuter for several reasons. He always has his toy when admitted. I think they would have told me if his mounting was excessive.

I had a feeling a neutering Op wouldn't be appropriate for Thumps with all his medical reasons but just thought i'd suggest it. I too would avoid any unnecessary GA's with Nino due to his stasis/bloat from stress alone - it would have to be a very good reason for me to put him under a GA and a big Op. Fortunately he was already neutered by the RSPCA.
I hope someone else can come up with some good ideas re. Thumper's weeing issues.
BUMP! :):wave:

Well, I put the oil on his scent glands last night, & bless him he 'd done the job for me by this morning. Nothing like as bad as I'd thought.
Haven't actually seen him wee today, but he's still "dribbling". No fur balls either.
Seems like we're off to the vets with a specimen. I'll really be in the dog house!! :lol:

Thanks for such an excellent reference Lilbun.
Just seen him wee tonight. He CAN wee but it's taking too much effort, & distressing him.
(Although it has been said he's a bit of a wimp!!!) I say he's a sensible bun - "If it hurts don't do it!!". It's definitely the vets ASAP.

Oooh, poor little man!
I'd be a wimp too if I needed to wee but couldn't :(
If he stops weeing altogether (or he passes urine but it is just his bladder overflowing) it is a medical emergency.
I hope the vet can make him more comfortable xx

Thanks again Lilbun. I've been keeping a close eye on this, for overflow incontinence. (Absolute agony for humans let alone risks of bladder rupture)

I always cut back on his dandelions & wild chervil (diuretics) when he goes into moult cos of his GI issues. His wee gets more chalky with less diuresis but hasn't caused such probs before.
Bunny teeth AHGGGGRRRR!

I don't believe this rabbit!!
As a last resort I went to the all night supermarket, got a selection of the herbs we don't have, & told him to sort himself out, or it would be vet. The flavour of the month was dill & a very small amount of parsley (I know it's said to be high in Calcium, but it's a mild diuretic & good for gut). He then drank loads, ate a fair bit of hay & did 2 "thunder box" pees in the night nearly overshooting the tray! (Wild chervil does wonders in spring, but sends him a bit "high". I really wish I knew more about bunny herbs)

It seems we're brewing up for another dental, & he's loath to drink fluids, even when they're given barely warm. He's never had mouth ulcers. He just stops eating if it hurts! I think that's quite sensible!!

This is at least the 5th. time he's sorted himself out when threatened with the vet!!! Usually it's just before we leave & I look a right wally!!
I still need to keep a careful eye on him.
I also wonder whether because he pees backwards, there's quite a bend on the urethra, & it's that bit more difficult to get "syrupy" wee "round the bend". I reckon that even if it isn't true sludge, it's still uncomfortable to pass - a bit like humans passing "gravel". Relief all round hopefully.

Phew :) :wave:

I suppose it has been a couple of months since the last dental hasn't it? What a little Tinker he is :D I'm glad the herbs from your late night adventures did the trick and hoping he gives his mum a bit less stress over the wknd! :):wave:

(Very interesting link Lilbun - learnt all about dysuria this morning!)

When I'm sure he is feeling very relieved but I think you're going to have to keep a close eye on this one, as it sounds like problems may be brewing.

On the subject of herbs, have you seen this link for info about herbs for rabbits? (was that you who linked to that website recently Prettylupin?) :)http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbs/index.php

I've put Galen's Gardens links up before but not this one! :shock: Wow...great info on all the bunny herbs.....my printer is going to be very busy this morning :D
Thanks Lilbun :wave:

Thumps hope all stays well over the wknd :)

When I'm sure he is feeling very relieved but I think you're going to have to keep a close eye on this one, as it sounds like problems may be brewing.

On the subject of herbs, have you seen this link for info about herbs for rabbits? (was that you who linked to that website recently Prettylupin?) :)http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbs/index.php

Thank you so much for very good advice. I'll take Thumper in on Mon to have his teeth assessed & general examination. I can't bear to think of him in pain, & know only too well how painful a sharp broken tooth is. I also feel that dysuria must be jolly painful too. The decision has been whether to use the emergency services, or whether we could "tide things over" for the w/e.

I also have a great respect for herbs, as medicinally active, & like to know what I'm doing eg. he may be peeing better now, but I don't want to diurese him too much, & dry out the gut contents, putting him at risk of obstruction/impaction, although moulting has nearly finished now, & I'm giving him a "massage" to get out as much fur as I can 2 hourly.

My vet is superb. She says his lower molar spurs are because his teeth don't meet properly. He seems to need dentals every 2 - 2 1/2 months.
Perhaps the thread affords a reminder to us all that dental buns, can have pain drinking as well as eating, & get urinary issues as a result.
It's difficult for me to know how much he's drinking because he gets tepid boiled water in a bowl at least 4 times daily, & there are bowls of water in every room (in case he shuts himself in while I'm out!!) I'm OTT about animals having access to water at all times even if they don't appear to drink it.

Last edited:
It remains for me to express my gratitude to all those who have contributed. I am deeply appreciative of the time & thought given to our problems.
There are times when my mind is so full of "what to feed him", & avoiding other probs. I simply fail to grasp the fundamental points.
I shall let you know what our vet decides.

urine problems U/D

Well the vet thinks that the fundamental issue is discomfort from his molar spikes. His bladder isn't distended, & a urine specimen from last night was not unduly concentrated. His last dental was only a month ago, he's never had any soft tissue damage to his mouth/tongue, so we're going to try to keep going a bit longer with metacam.
Obviously if he can't pee at all or his food intake drops dramatically, he'll need an emergency dental.

Back