• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ex breeding "stock" rehoming

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
Just wondered what the majorty of people thought about the rehoming of ex breeding does/bucks.
I know alot of people on here seem to not want to take this sort of bunnies on but i would be more than happy to if the right one came along, i think they are in need of a home like any other bunny needing a home :) what you think?

Blackberry and Clover were ex-breeding Lionhead does.

I don't care about a bunny's past, I'd take on a breeding bunny or a non-breeding bunny just the same.

I can see trifle on the horizon......

but before it gets here..difficult to say as yep all bunnies need a home...but
if you are just helping a breeder to "get rid" of stock no longer of use to them..then hard as it seems..no
Some breeders are better than others and retire their animals after a reasonable time ....these maybe:?:?
nothing is black and white...

if you are just helping a breeder to "get rid" of stock no longer of use to them..then hard as it seems..no
Some breeders are better than others and retire their animals after a reasonable time ....these maybe:?:?

Indeed!

It does depend. Helping breeders get rid of old stock often makes way for new, but if the bun is in a dire situation, it is really hard to know what's best.

Yep i see what you mean, but my head would tell me no as like you say they are just "getting rid" of old stock, but my heart would say yes because of what might happen to them if no one rehomes them :? :cry:

I agree with Jill, also if a breeder has a easy way to "rehome" unwanted buns (ie a "rescue" who takes them on a regular basis) they believe they can keep on breeding and not worry about excess stock, where as if the couldn't rehome them they may have given up long ago as they had too many :?

I think it depends on the situation, if a breeder is giving up I guess it's a bit different...

It's a really difficult one, and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, just what some people would do and what others wouldn't do :?

My heart would go out to the buns (especially the does, who may have been exhaustively used as baby-bunny factories) and I would want to give them a good home if I had space. The fact that the breeder would simply replace them (unless giving it up) is a double-edged sword and a no-win situation, but I don't think the individual bunnies should pay the price for the people who have owned them during their litter-bearing years. If they have been used as exhaustive breeding stock then they definitly fall into the category of being 'rescued' in my opinion.

It would be better if the breeders acted responsibly and allowed their adult stock to 'retire' when they get past breeding age and look after them, neuter them, etc etc - but whilst I know some breeders who do this, I don't know enough about the breeding industry to know how often this happens across the board.

If a breeder is genuinley giving up, and rehoming the breeding stock - then I wouldn't have a problem with it... I don't think I'd take on a bunny if the breeder was just going to replace it with another though.

If a breeder is genuinley giving up, and rehoming the breeding stock - then I wouldn't have a problem with it... I don't think I'd take on a bunny if the breeder was just going to replace it with another though.

My thoughts exactly.

i think it depends on the individual situation. there are many of us here who have taken bunnys from dire situations both rescues and individuals some people have even paid the "owner" to remove the bunny just to get it out...do i think thats wrong? i think that the owner was in the wrong to ask for money but if it meant saving that one animal then it was right.

regarding the exact topic you posted: ex breeding bunnys, yes i think people should take them on and give them a good home if they can, are they any more deserving than a rescue bunny? no. i think if the breeder is giving up or retiring rabbits then this is ideal for taking on as they care enough to stop or to retire (not saying that nessacerily all other breeding practises are good mind) and that everybun has a right to a safe and loving home.

i think you would know at the time what decision was right to do there are instances where i dont think i would take a rabbit and others where i have for exanple a pet shop bun i "rescued" due to being a special needs bunny and then rehomed(having vaccinated and homechecked etc) is wrong in some opinions as i was supporting that pet shop but i could not see a blind bunny be kept the way he was or go to someone who didnt know how to deal with his disability. would i rehome just any pet shop rabbit? no i wouldnt. so i think its up to the individual the main thing is the rabbits welfare and future life. xx

I take in ec breeder bunnies:DI have never regretted doing it although sometimes you have to say NO:cry:but i couldn't turn my back on bunnies in need that would have otherwise have been "knocked on the head":cry:
YES the breeder will get others but they will do that anyway:shock::roll:
These buns deserve a retirement with some happiness too!
Go for it:)

The more I think about this the more I get really confused :lol: I think it has to depend on all circumstances..Liz's Eddie, was taken from a breeder, I would never regret helping Kris rescue him :?

I take in ec breeder bunnies:DI have never regretted doing it although sometimes you have to say NO:cry:but i couldn't turn my back on bunnies in need that would have otherwise have been "knocked on the head":cry:
YES the breeder will get others but they will do that anyway:shock::roll:
These buns deserve a retirement with some happiness too!
Go for it:)

Thats what i mean though, why should people deny these sort of bunnies a home just because of there background :?

I believe that all bunnies are equal and in no less need of a home!

However, I think it is completely different when it comes to their situations. I believe that the does who are exhausted and have had five litters a years for as many years are a rescue case and the does who have had two litters a year for two/three years are retiring! It does come down to space for many breeders but I know one who's female buns are all from the same line and she cares equally for them all. The retired buns are not old...just have done their breeding and have had enough. Most of these buns enjoy a retirement with said person and stay with her until their time comes. For Frenchies this could be four to six(ish) years with two years breeding (only three/four litters.) Obviously this means that sometimes space can be short and money is always an issue for a family of 12 very large buns. Sometimes the decision has to be made to find a retirement home for some of the older residents. This home is of just as much importance as the baby bunnies homes and she keeps in touch with all her buns! ...THIS is what I would call responsible!

On the other hand, taking ex-breeding stock off a breeder just so they can get another doe in an 18" cage and no freedom is a controversial subject. Is this doe worth less?...No, I don't believe so! Does this bun deserve to be overlooked because she has had this atrocity done to her for the whole of her little life?...No! The problem is that people don't want to be seen as promoting breeding. This is generally a very anti-breeding forum and I know I'm in the minority with what I said above, but I believe that every bun deserves a home and they are all lucky buns to have a home who cares for them...whether they have one ear up, no ears!!, blind, or perfectly healthy with a pedigree. It all depends on how they are treated! It's not the buns we should be thinking about but the humans caring for them!

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:...OH dear God, that was an essay!

Now I'm going to spread the :love::love::love::love:
:D

I had this very same conversation with Hetty when I started to look at getting an EL. We both brought up exactly the same arguments and ended up going round in circles.
It is a very difficult question to answer, and both 'sides' have very valid points.
In my heart of hearts, I feel that every bunny deserves (and has a right to) a loving and caring home......but then on the same vein, surely that applies to the babies she has produced and the bunnies that end up in pet shops too?
It's very complicated and I think the only time you could make the 'right' decision would be if you were put in that position.

Back