• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

C+S for ear infection...is it worth doing?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Dominic has had an ear infection for nearly 2 months. At first he was on baytril which didn't cure it, so was put on depocillin...which seemed to be working at first but has now gone back to how it was before treatment.

During his last check up my vet discussed having a c+s done. He has another check up tonight, and I'd like to have made a decision re. getting the tests done or not. The tests are only about £70, so won't break the bank.

Part of me does wonder if it's worth doing the tests because they won't be able to get a sample of pus from his inner ear...and I also wonder whether its likely to culture a number of different bacteria, most of which won't be causing the problem? TBH I'm not sure how much bacteria rabbits normally carry in their ears, but I'm guessing they must have some? :?

Any opinions on whether it's best to get the tests done, or whether it's pointless?

Hello I had this test done for Bugsy when he had a terrible ear infection.The bacteria found in his ears were proteus spp,staphylococcus and E colli.Bugsy was on ceporex and had ear drops.I think it would be worth asking for a skull x ray.

Hello I had this test done for Bugsy when he had a terrible ear infection.The bacteria found in his ears were proteus spp,staphylococcus and E colli.Bugsy was on ceporex and had ear drops.I think it would be worth asking for a skull x ray.

Did the vet think that any of these bacteria were the cause of the infection? Did Bugsy have to be sedated for the samples to be taken? Which ear drops did he have?

Sorry for all the Qs! :oops:

Did the vet think that any of these bacteria were the cause of the infection? Did Bugsy have to be sedated for the samples to be taken? Which ear drops did he have?

Sorry for all the Qs! :oops:

I have continental giant rabbits and they all carry the staph bacteria which has had devestating consequences.I dont know if the bacteria caused the initial infection and yes Bugsy had to be sedated,he was having his ears flushed because they were so full of puss.His actual ear drums had perforated due to the infection.I was given Aurizon drops to put in his ears.I really hope that Dominic gets better

Back