• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm nervous about Jose's spay tomorrow - not eating or drinking

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
She's only little and I'm worried :(

How long will it be before she's moving about properly?
Do I need to restrict her space while she heals? If so, for how long?
Is it best to put fleecy blankets on the floor of in her indoor cage (its her base)?

I know it's the best thing for her, but I'm scared of something going wrong :cry:

Last edited:
I was very worried when I got my girls spayed but it really wasn't half as bad as I had expected.

I kept each in a metal indoor run with puppy pads on the floor. They still managed to use their litter trays and I put hay in a hay rack rather than in trays.

I confined them for about 5 days by which time they were going mad to be let out!

Good luck!

I was very worried when I got my girls spayed but it really wasn't half as bad as I had expected.

I kept each in a metal indoor run with puppy pads on the floor. They still managed to use their litter trays and I put hay in a hay rack rather than in trays.

I confined them for about 5 days by which time they were going mad to be let out!

Good luck!

Jose's litter tray is a washing up bowl so the sides are quite high, will this cause a problem do you think?

I've got an indoor cage and a metal run, so I could confine her to one of these

I was PETRIFIED about Amber's spay! \the vets were really good and put her first on the as i was so worried:oops:

I used an indoor cage which i put her carrier in so she could hide and come out when she wanted. I put her Snugglesafe in the carrier. I used towels as bedding so it didn't irritate the wound and surronded her with nice things to eat and put her water in a bowl near her.

I was quite suprised how mobile she was when i brought her home! She will need a little space so she can move about (which also helps the gut) but not too much as she could easily hurt herseld.

Kept tempting her with treats to get her to eat, i swear by dandelion leaves;) I left bun to rest and checked on her and waved food under her nose every half hour -hour. If she hasn't pooed by the next morning then call the vet.

I'm sure she'll be fine xx

Could you get a normal lower sided litter tray just for her to use for a few days? I think a washing up bowl would be too high for her to jump into just after the op.

Could you get a normal lower sided litter tray just for her to use for a few days? I think a washing up bowl would be too high for her to jump into just after the op.

We've still got her old litter tray which is one of those proper corner ones, with a low front, but not sure she'll use it as a litter tray anymore as she usually just sits in it. So I'll pop out and buy her a proper one while she's at the vets tomorrow :)

I was PETRIFIED about Amber's spay! \the vets were really good and put her first on the as i was so worried:oops:

I used an indoor cage which i put her carrier in so she could hide and come out when she wanted. I put her Snugglesafe in the carrier. I used towels as bedding so it didn't irritate the wound and surronded her with nice things to eat and put her water in a bowl near her.

I was quite suprised how mobile she was when i brought her home! She will need a little space so she can move about (which also helps the gut) but not too much as she could easily hurt herseld.

Kept tempting her with treats to get her to eat, i swear by dandelion leaves;) I left bun to rest and checked on her and waved food under her nose every half hour -hour. If she hasn't pooed by the next morning then call the vet.

I'm sure she'll be fine xx

Jose's not one for sitting still so hopefully she'll be moving about pretty quickly :)

Louies at the vets tonight to check that he is "ready" to be neutered :shock:

If so, he is booked in for tomorrow morning so I will be nervous with you!

Louies at the vets tonight to check that he is "ready" to be neutered :shock:

If so, he is booked in for tomorrow morning so I will be nervous with you!

When we thought Jose was a boy we weren't nervous about the op, but now she's a she, I am. I suppose its cos its more of an "in depth" op

The boy's op is definately a lot simpler and they recover a lot faster but Jose will be fine :D

Hi,

Im sure Jose will be fine - I was the one worrying last week when I got my little girl Sooty spayed, she had me really worried for 24 hours as she wouldnt eat or poo but I also swear by dandelion leaves - that is all she ate for the whole next day!! My neighbourhood has no dandelions left :lol:
She also loved herbs which she had never tried before but I was desperate!

I just put fleece blankets down for her to lay on which she did and didnt move all night:cry:

Anyway she is now fine, alot calmer and friendlier - she has always been friendly but have had absolutley no nips or anything from her since!!

You are doing the right thing but its surprising how much they make us worry. They should give her pain relief which I also managed to get down Sotty by putting drops on dandelion leaves and hand feeding her that particular leaf!
Good Luck - let us know how it goes and you know you will get loads of advice from here if you are worried about anything x :love:

Awwwh bless little Jose :love: She will be fine Sarah :) I would line her indoor cage with fleece blankets, give her hay in a rack, get her a cat litter tray, you can get them for about £1.50 :) Give her a bowl to drink from if she doesnt already have one... the ga makes them thirsty when theyre coming round and they can get more water from a bowl. Make sure you have her favourite veg/treats in to tempt her to eat. Im sure all will be ok, if you need any help give me a shout :) xXx

good luck for Jose but i am sure she will be fine.

I worried alot about ruby when she was spayed last month, especially as she hadn't eaten anything the next morning, but them she ate that evening and was hopping around any everything in the bedroom the day after. We kept her confined in an indoor cage for about 5 days with about 20 minutes excercise time a couple of times a day. not sure if this was the best thing, but she was fine. She had to go back outside though after the 5th day, she was in our bedroom and i couldn't have another day of her waking me up at 5am and having to get her out to play for 20 minutes. I was so tired at work that week!

Hi,

Im sure Jose will be fine - I was the one worrying last week when I got my little girl Sooty spayed, she had me really worried for 24 hours as she wouldnt eat or poo but I also swear by dandelion leaves - that is all she ate for the whole next day!! My neighbourhood has no dandelions left :lol:
She also loved herbs which she had never tried before but I was desperate!

I just put fleece blankets down for her to lay on which she did and didnt move all night:cry:

Anyway she is now fine, alot calmer and friendlier - she has always been friendly but have had absolutley no nips or anything from her since!!

You are doing the right thing but its surprising how much they make us worry. They should give her pain relief which I also managed to get down Sotty by putting drops on dandelion leaves and hand feeding her that particular leaf!
Good Luck - let us know how it goes and you know you will get loads of advice from here if you are worried about anything x :love:

I bought her brand new fleecey blanket the other day, so i'll use that in her indoor cage :D:lol:

And I've just been to morrisons to buy her a new basil plant to take to the vets with me tomorrow to tempt her when she comes round :D (along with fenugreek crunchies of course!)

I'm hoping Jose will calm down too after her op, she's currently nipping the OH's legs :roll:

Awwwh bless little Jose :love: She will be fine Sarah :) I would line her indoor cage with fleece blankets, give her hay in a rack, get her a cat litter tray, you can get them for about £1.50 :) Give her a bowl to drink from if she doesnt already have one... the ga makes them thirsty when theyre coming round and they can get more water from a bowl. Make sure you have her favourite veg/treats in to tempt her to eat. Im sure all will be ok, if you need any help give me a shout :) xXx

She's always driks out of a water bowl now after she chewed through 2 water bottles :roll: I'll pop out tomorrow and get her a cat litter tray :)

And I deffo know where to come if i need anything :D

She's always driks out of a water bowl now after she chewed through 2 water bottles :roll: I'll pop out tomorrow and get her a cat litter tray :)

And I deffo know where to come if i need anything :D

:lol::lol: I cant wait to meet little Jose! She sounds like a right little terror! :lol: xxx

:lol::lol: I cant wait to meet little Jose! She sounds like a right little terror! :lol: xxx

She is indeed! It was the rubber seal where the metal dripping bit with the ball in joins the plastic bit :roll: she eats everything! My OH's just had to take his trainers off and put them out of her reach on the bookcase cos she kept chewing the soles lol

I bought her brand new fleecey blanket the other day, so i'll use that in her indoor cage :D:lol:

And I've just been to morrisons to buy her a new basil plant to take to the vets with me tomorrow to tempt her when she comes round :D (along with fenugreek crunchies of course!)

I'm hoping Jose will calm down too after her op, she's currently nipping the OH's legs :roll:

lol they cost us a fortune dont they?? all this stuff we buy - but they are worth it :love:
Yes Sooty drank ALOT of water out of her bowl in the first 24 hours so just make sure it is always topped up...
Try not to worry too much - though I know you will x x

I would just expect for her to be abit quiet. I havent had Dells done yet, but Oggie was very sleepy for most of the night.
I put blanets in his cage too, by the morning he had pushed them all to one side of the cage :roll::lol:
It will be interesting though, how dell reacts after as she is very lively.

Hope Jose will be fine, lots of cuddles to her. :love:

Back