• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anyone else sitting up with an ill rabbit tonight?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Quickthorn is back from the vets but his undiagnosed not eating and laying down is turning into a mega stomach problem with either impaction or blockage meaning that his stomach is getting larger and harder.

he has had everything the vet can give him - buscopan followed by metcalopromide - and syringe feeds (they did not suspect blockage) and sub cut fluids - but since getting home he has been much worse again.

I am giving infacol and stomach rubs on a hot water bottle and apple juice in case it is impaction .

Because of not eating eh was not given pain killer so i did give a small amount of metacam after his syringe feed but he still seems in pain.

the emergency vet will not be able to do anything else - and I just don't know what to do except sit here and tummy rub with one hand and type with the other.

I'm sorry to hear about Quickthorn's illness.
If his abdomen is distended he will be in pain. I would ring the emergency vet. They can tell you how much metacam to give as he needs an adequate amount. They may also want to see him so they can pass a stomach tube to relieve the gas if he is becoming bloated.
He needs to be kept warm as well as he will be unable to regulate his body temperature while he is so poorly xx

Have only just seen this, so sorry to read he has been so ill with a bloated tummy, how is Quickthorn today?
He should be able to have some opiate analgesics or injectable metacam surely?

Quickthorn is with the vets today.

Last night I finally got the hard distention to go down a bit at about 2.30am - but he still has not pood or eaten voluntarily.

He takes apple juice on a syringe but that all.

Got up several times in the night to give him more juice and at various times he seemed more comfortable (though the 4.30 juice session was a bit of a blur!! and at 6am I think I just fell asleep with him) - but then this morning still not eating or pooing etc so had to whisk him in to vets at 8am and leave him there as I was lecturing this morning.

Viola Rose was delighted as it meant I had no time to swab the pus from her nose !! - only just time to rush round the others and feed and let out, go down allotment to let out hens etc., and scavange for Teasal's greens (no pellet diet).

Have an appt at 4pm with my rabbit savvy vet to discuss - am really worried in case its something odd or underlying - what is so strange is that when I first noticed it yesterday he was not in the classic hunched position or the 'stretch tummy' position - but laying on his side, which he kept doing. I am worried its either a growth or something more major causing this. r even an impaction would be pretty bad.

certainly not a hint of a poo in 24 hours despite the syringe feedings they gave him yesterday and all the rubs and metaclopromide.

certainly not a hint of a poo in 24 hours despite the syringe feedings they gave him yesterday and all the rubs and metaclopromide.

Try not to worry, I know you have your suspicions re. his unusual posture this time, but hopefully your rabbit-savvy vet will rule some things out for you. Sometimes getting the first set of droppings can take longer than 24 hours even with all the effort at the other end.... so don't lose hope. Fingers crossed he has made some improvement later today. Some more pain relief and fluids will surely help - no doubt your vets are already on to this though.
Lots of vibes for Quickthorn :)

Try not to worry, I know you have your suspicions re. his unusual posture this time, but hopefully your rabbit-savvy vet will rule some things out for you. Sometimes getting the first set of droppings can take longer than 24 hours even with all the effort at the other end.... so don't lose hope. Fingers crossed he has made some improvement later today. Some more pain relief and fluids will surely help - no doubt your vets are already on to this though.
Lots of vibes for Quickthorn :)

I agree totally with the above advice.
Everything crossed for Quickthorn.

Back