• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for non-pellet eating bun

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I've been gradually trying to get mine over to SS pellets. All of them like them apart from Mischa who has always held out on me over this.

He likes the Fenugreek crunchies so I don't understand why he refuses the pellets. It's not as if he wont try either as he takes it off me and then flings it away. In the mornings I have been giving them SS then adding a little of their mix in after an hour or so to try and force him to try them.

I was wondering about grinding some down and trying to make some sort of biscuit out of them based on this recipe.

Fluffie said:
* 1 c. rolled oats, finely ground (coffee grinder works best)
* 1/4 c. rabbit pellets, finely ground
* 2 medium-sized bunches of parsley
* 1/2 of a carrot
* 1/2 of a banana
* 1/4 c. + 1 tbsp. water

Anything else I can try?

Nobody? I tried crushing them but he's still not interested so I don't think it can be his teeth. He's just being a pain :roll:

I'm weaning Feegal over to SS as that is what the rescue feeds his hopefully potential wife on.
He still eats Russel Rabbit first then the SS.
He WILL NOT eat any Burgess just eats the hay. So I guess Mischa just does not like the taste.
Is he your dental bun?
It may be a sign his mouth is sore. Maybe the new food could hurt his mouth more if he is. :?
Good luck:wave:

He eats other hard foods, I'm not sure if he has dental problems or not, it's one of the things I need to ask the vet about, he did have wetness under his chin but it seems to have gone again. I've just made up the cookies, in the oven as we speak.

He is my oldest bun and has been a bit spoilt with junk food. :oops:

You've cooked him cookies:shock::lol: If Feegal hears of this he will be soo jealous:oops: Has he tried them yet? Does he like them?

I know, I think I'm going a bit cuckoo. :lol: He hasn't yet, just waiting for them to cool.

Let me know if he likes them:) Tempting to try myself but I always burn cookies. Would end up harder than the pellets:oops:

It will be hard to switch from a mix, but it can be done.

I would just persevere with swapping them over, and not try to force him to eat them.

If he has unlimited hay then he won't go hungry and with time, if you keep graddually changing he will start to eat.

Sandy was on a mix and I had to change her over. She was pretty resistant to it but I just persevered. She stuffed hay like there was no tomorrow and as I got to the end of the swapping she wouldn't touch them, then I think she got desperate. Two and a half years on she stuffs her pellets like no tomorrow.

Depending on how old he is (like if he is full on into old age), then maybe its not worth swapping him over, and the mix might be fine for him.

He's only 3. He's quite slow though, like an old bun as he went through a bad bout of EC.

He is eating a lot of hay so that's good. I'll just carry on the switchover then as if he is starting to eat them. The other two are. Smudge goes crazy for them. :lol: I'll have to stop myself offering them to him. :oops: He's probably getting rather hacked off with me. :lol:

As for the cookies, Mini and Smudge love them, Nutmeg has looked at me with disdain as she always does with new food,. :lol: And Mischa has taken a bit and tried to get the rest out of my hand and on the floor. :roll: :lol:

It took me a month to swap Peter from a mix to the SS pellets. I did the usual mixing the feeds for 10 days slowly reducing the mix but he just left the pellets. I tried just pellets and he didnt eat them at all. Went back to the mix ready to give up.

Then I started hand feeding him a few as a treat. To start with he would take a little bite and then drop the pellet and then after a week he would eat them properly. Tried swapping the mix for the pellets again and Bingo!

Now he loves them! He spots me opening the curtains in the morning and then runs about madly till I appear with his pellets. It was worth all the effort.

If he has had wetness under his chin and is having trouble with hard pellets, it would be worth getting him checked. If they drink from a bowl, sometimes the do get wet on their chin. The S and S mature pellets are softer, so might be worth trying.

Hmm, he does do the bite and then drop thing but he only takes it into his mouth and then drops it rather than breaking a bit off and eating a tiny amount. I guess perseverance is the key. And patience!

If he has had wetness under his chin and is having trouble with hard pellets, it would be worth getting him checked. If they drink from a bowl, sometimes the do get wet on their chin. The S and S mature pellets are softer, so might be worth trying.

He does eat other hard food though. Will soon find out - vets tomorrow.

Back