• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC? Advice please U/D?

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Today I lost my baby Willow. I found her in the hutch lying twisted with her neck back at a funny angle. I rushed her to the vet who thought her neck was broken and decided that PTS was the kindest thing to do, which totally agreed with as Willow was in such a state.
After posting in the Rainbow Bridge, it's been suggested to me (thank you:wave:) that Willow may not have had a broken neck (would she even have survived a broken neck at all?!) but that it may be related to EC.
Now, Sammy, Willow's partner has always been an uber thirsty rabbit, drinking loads of water everyday, always has done. I just thought he was thirsty as he's perfectly healthy otherwise. However, his last partner, Elsa, died last year. After she died I realised that she'd lost a bit of weight over the previous short while but had hidden it well due to having such a thick coat. Also, looking back after she died I realised I'd noticed her trip whilst coming into the hutch, at the time, I just thought she'd tripped but now I realise it was possibly a symptom. Elsa was a rescue rabbit and didn't really like being handled so I just really fed her, cleaned her out etc and didn't handle her which was a mistake I realise now as I might have noticed the weight loss sooner. Elsa was found dead in the run one morning.
Willow was also very skinny before she died, I thought that Sammy was being a pig and taking most of the food so I had been taking her out, feeding her seperately and adding porridge oats etc to build her up. I had noticed she was a bit wobbly on her feet but again thought it was because she was thin. MY GOD I wish I had though more about it now.
Does it sound like Sammy may be E cuniculi positive and may have infected both Elsa and Willow? I have ordered a 28 day Panacur course on the advice of the person who pointed this all out to me. I fully intend to get Sammy a new friend asap so I'm thinking I should treat any new rabbits as well? Should I finish his 28 day course before getting him a new partner? I will go out and scrub the hutch with bleach solution tomorrow also. I am feeling incredibly guilty about all this, I wish I had seen what was right in front of me:cry:

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. You did the best you could with the knowledge you had at the time so I wouldn't feel bad, we've all been in this sort of situation I'm sure.

I would definatley do the 28 days panacur and observe the bleach cleaning on days 21 and 28, don't forget food bowls and toys, anything which could be contaminated by urine. Of course you can't bleach your lawn if the buns were on there but I understand EC can only live for 30 days so maybe you can move your run accordingly?

I would complete the course before looking for a new partner.

Thank you so much for that:). The rabbits hadn't been on the grass as we've just sowed a new lawn. The hutch and run can all be bleached so I'll do that.

I just spoke to the vet who saw Willow yesterday and she said that it's possible she had EC BUT that Willow was more rigid whereas EC usually causes a more 'floppy' paralysis and she thought it was more likely to be a traumatic injury.
I am going to treat Sammy with Panacur anyway because I still think it may have been EC related. The vet did say they'd do a PM on Willow but I've already buried her:cry:
Would it be worth having tests done on Sammy or should I just treat as if he has EC from now on anyway?

Tests can be inconclusive, i would treat for the 28days course as if willow had EC.
My Kermit had head tilt from EC and survived, he wasnt really floppy, so Willow could have easily had EC.
Better to be safe than sorry, and the 28day treatment wont do Sammy any harm. x

That's grand, I was intending to do that anyway. The vet also said that when I got him a new friend I either needed to do the 28 day course for him first, or else get his friend and start them both at the same time? I'm guessing the later is not right?:?

That's grand, I was intending to do that anyway. The vet also said that when I got him a new friend I either needed to do the 28 day course for him first, or else get his friend and start them both at the same time? I'm guessing the later is not right?:?

You can do the latter :)

You'd need to do the new Bun anyway as it's recommended that all Buns have a 'one off' 28 day course.

That's great news then, thanks Jane (again!):D. I was feeling bad for poor Sammy being lonely for another 28 days. I'll look into getting a new rabbit friend for him as soon as then. It's cold and he needs somebun to cuddle up with:love:

Last edited:
Sorry guys, one more question. If Sammy does indeed have EC and his excessive drinking is a symptom of that, will the course of Panacur help reduce his thirst?

Sorry guys, one more question. If Sammy does indeed have EC and his excessive drinking is a symptom of that, will the course of Panacur help reduce his thirst?

It might do. If it is going to have that effect it usually happens early on in the course. That's been my experience anyway.

Back