• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lurchers...

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Does anyone have one? If so, can I see some pics?

Also, what are they like with bunnies? One of our clients at the vets is interested in getting a Lurcher but has 4 rabbits (2 pairs) and would like some advice and I don't really know much about them so I told her I would ask on here! :oops:

Thank you :)

A friend of mine has a lurcher and also has rabbits and they all seem to get on fine, no problems so far! :)

Last edited:
It depends if she wanted to get a rescue, or a pup..

There are rescue lurchers out there that are ok with littlies.
However, if she was going to get a pup, they can be taught to be nice :lol:

It depends if she wanted to get a rescue, or a pup..

There are rescue lurchers out there that are ok with littlies.
However, if she was going to get a pup, they can be taught to be nice :lol:

We have another client who fosters for a rescue and is fostering a 4 month old Lurcher at the mo (they met in the waiting room yesterday!!!)

I have a lurcher... she's a greyhound / german shepherd cross as far as we can tell. She's fine with all the small animals here, in fact after a 2 second sniff she likes to pretend they don't exsist, or very rarely if I've got a bunny on my lap she'll give them a little lick :love:
I wouldn't let her out the garden off lead if the rabbits are free range, but they can run about indoors and she's ok... again she tries to pretend they're not there. I'd never leave her alone with any of the small furries out of their cages etc though, but I think that goes for most / all dogs regardless of breed.

Pixie
P1030403.jpg

I have a lurcher... she's a greyhound / german shepherd cross as far as we can tell. She's fine with all the small animals here, in fact after a 2 second sniff she likes to pretend they don't exsist, or very rarely if I've got a bunny on my lap she'll give them a little lick :love:
I wouldn't let her out the garden off lead if the rabbits are free range, but they can run about indoors and she's ok... again she tries to pretend they're not there. I'd never leave her alone with any of the small furries out of their cages etc though, but I think that goes for most / all dogs regardless of breed.

Pixie
P1030403.jpg

Aww :love: was she helping you wrap? :D

We used to have a lurcher - pre-bunnies - he was a rescue so we didn't know his past but he was fine with cats, would chase them if they ran but happily layed on the firerug back to back with our old cat - she would purr away then wake up, realise she had been touching him :shock: and give a look of disgust and threaten to swipe him!

Aww :love: was she helping you wrap? :D

Helping...? Well if you call plonking herself down right in the middle of where I was wrapping, helping, then yes :lol:
I have got more recent pics of her but that was the only one I could find on photobucket. She'll be 11 in January.

we have Kara a greyhound and she was a rescue from the RGT and was orginally bred for racing in ireland.We have never had any problems with her and our rabbits or piggies or the cats and small animals we have.
She as never shown any hint of chasing or agression towards them and is actually scared of our white cat snowy who rules roost.
I wouldnt 100percent trust any dog as in my opinion feel there might be a day when they do.If that makes sense.:}

This is my elderly lurcher, Gambit. He's a half collie, half greyhound cross, and is now 13.

Enjoying the sunshine last weekend in the garden:
sept09014.jpg
sept09034.jpg

About to be harassed by Tigermouse:
sept09027.jpg
sept09029.jpg

This is Tilly, Gambit's half sister (belong's to o/h's brother)
June09004.jpg
TillyandGambit7thFeb021.jpg

Finally, baby Freya who also belongs to o/h's brother, and is 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie (I think):
Freya_004.jpg
5thsept017.jpg

Last edited:
Back