• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't believe I'm going to lose him

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Ginger has cancer. Took both the boys to the vets today for a pre-dental check-up. I asked about Ginger's weight loss, and his poorly spells. The vet palpated him and said he could feel several growths, probably on his liver. He's having a scan on Monday but we all know there's nothing can be done.

I just can't believe it. I'm going to lose my darling baby, and Pickle his litter mate and only bun friend. Haven't even got words for how I feel.

I'm sorry. I'm going through something similar with my Cloud, and lost my Summer in June to cancer.

If you need to talk then feel free to PM me.

Take this time to make his life the most amazing it can be. I'm sure he has an awesome life anyway, I'm not saying he doesn't, but if there is a way to 'step it up' then go for it. It's amazing how that can make a difference and keep a bun fighting.

Don't write him off yet though, wait and see what the scan shows.

Oh how sad :cry: You must be very anxious and worried. Fingers and paws crossed here for a positive scan result. :) I'm sure he knows you love him to bits. :)

I would see what the scan says before worrying further. I know of several animals wrongly diagnosed with cancer just from external examinations - the masses could be something else. Fatty lumps, benign growths, mass in the digestive system, lymph nodes, etc., definately don't write him off yet

So sorry I know how you feel as we took our lovely 'Danny' for a dental check-up on the 14th January 2009 and the Vet felt a lump on his side which after an x-ray showed he had a tumor. We knew what the outcome would be and we took him home and just spoilt him rotten. He ate well and was happy and content and we took him back like once a month for check-up's and weight checks. Over the next few months he started to lose a lot of weight although he was eating well ,and my Husband started to syringe feed him 'Critical Care' and some Manuka honey to try and put some weight on him.
Danny continued to eat until the 23rd April 2009 and that day he didn't eat his breakfast at all and although my Husband tried to syringe feed him he just didn't want to know and the following morning he went to the Bridge leaving us heartbroken and Hope his Sister that he lived with alone.
Just make what time he has left special and spoil him rotten.

Feel free to PM me to if you want anytime.

Last edited:
I would see what the scan says before worrying further. I know of several animals wrongly diagnosed with cancer just from external examinations - the masses could be something else. Fatty lumps, benign growths, mass in the digestive system, lymph nodes, etc., definately don't write him off yet

I think this is good advice.
I know it's impossible NOT to worry, but remember there's hope yet.
Everything crossed for Ginger.
Welcome to pm me too.
Please keep us updated if you can.

Thank you everyone. I really, really appreciate all your sweet replies. I've been so unfortunate with my animals, Ginger + Pickle are the longest running pets we've had, at just over 6. I'm trying so hard not to write him off until I know for definite, but will all the weight he's lost I don't hold out much hope.

You're right about making them as happy as possible - from now on Ginger's getting anything he fancies whenever he wants, and some serious quality time with me. I'll let you guys know the outcome on Monday – please, please send vibes for us.

I agree, wait until the vet has confirmed before worrying. I must be so hard but stay positive and you'll feel a bit stronger if it does turn out to be bad news.

I really hope the vets have it wrong.

Don't lose hope. Have a look on one of my threads and see my rabbit Poppy (aged 8 1/2 yrs). She was diagosed with a MASSIVE liver tumour last November and the vets gave her weeks to live. We did not have a scan done nor operations as I don not believe in putting her through that. Anyway, she has been on a small dose of metacam ever since and the vets is astounded at how well she is doing. She went for vaccinations last week and the tumour is there but is stable. Her weight remains the same and she appears to be ticking along fine. I can tell from a mile off by her behaviour and her eyes if she is suffering and believe that she is not. As long as she continues in this way I will keep going with the metacam.

Every rabbit is different but it might not be all bad for your rabbit. Lets hope that he can keep going like Poppy.

You're right about making them as happy as possible - from now on Ginger's getting anything he fancies whenever he wants, and some serious quality time with me. I'll let you guys know the outcome on Monday – please, please send vibes for us.

That's awesome :) It will be lovely for him, and with time it will also bring you comfort, however hard it feels right now.

My other advice is to take lots of pictures and videos too (if you can) because they will become priceless, and again, a good source of comfort.

Having just read that you will let us know how it goes on Monday, it seems that you will be going through the same as me, on the same day, because that's when Cloud will be going for his tests for his liver issue. I hope we both get some good news on Monday.

Thinking of you both.

Back