• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many pellets?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
hi my bunny is 6 months- loves her excel pellets but how many do I give her? Ive been filling up her bowl every day but reading on here i think thats too much - is it literally just a small amount each day?? once a day?
(she also has hay and veggies)

Thanks x

hi my bunny is 6 months- loves her excel pellets but how many do I give her? Ive been filling up her bowl every day but reading on here i think thats too much - is it literally just a small amount each day?? once a day?
(she also has hay and veggies)

Thanks x

I tend to feed young buns as much as they will eat, untill they start to look chubby. Then I slowly reduce the ammount of feed.

would you call 6 months a young bun? my baby buns (9 weeks) has unlimited pellets but i wondered as she is a big rabbit now (not fat) i should start reducing them?

I just feed a handful/egg cup full per bun once a day. My buns have their pellets in the morning and veg at tea time. They have unlimited hay all day and night.

I would be reluctant to feed any more pellets to a young bun as I would be worried that they wouldnt get used to the hay which should be the main part of their diet. My bun Posy is 5 months old and has been with us for 2 months. She has been on this diet since her first day with us and is the perfect weight and very healthy. Oh and she adores her hay.

would you call 6 months a young bun? my baby buns (9 weeks) has unlimited pellets but i wondered as she is a big rabbit now (not fat) i should start reducing them?

If she eats them all, and isn't getting fat then I wouldn't reduce the ammount too much. My youngest rabbit is just moulting out of his baby coat. He currently gets unlimited hay and two handfulls of pellets daily. My two adults get unlimited hay and just less than a handfull of pellets. They all get veg too, the young bun has less than the others though.

All my rabbits have had small ammounts of grass and veg from a very young age. None have any problems with any type of food and they love everything.

no not really though she poos ALOT!

Another quick question she just has hay in her tray where she eats, poos everything, how do i make sure she eats fresh hay? do you have a hay holder?

Another quick question she just has hay in her tray where she eats, poos everything, how do i make sure she eats fresh hay? do you have a hay holder?

I put a bit of hay over some straw for them to snuggle into, and then some bits near the food bowl. They eat both, I don't think it matters where it goes. If he dosen't eat much hay, you could mix it in with food.

I use semi circle hanging baskets. They are the lightweight ones and I paid about £3 for them at the garden centre. I have attached these to the sides of their hutches and runs. They can easily stretch up to reach the hay. They also have some in their litter trays but the baskets mean that they always have clean hay to eat rather than stuff they have weed and pooped on.

Back