• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does or male rabbit keep trying to get into the babies?

Bunnies1

Young Bun
Our rabbits had babies about 4/5 days ago. The male and female live in separate cages and always have done he has also been castrated. Today though I saw him trying to get into the babies. Is this normal? Will he hurt them? :|

It's hard to say why, he could be curious, territorial or trying to get to mum. Definitely don't let him have access to them at this age as yes he could hurt them.

He is probably just trying to get to the mum. I wouldnt let him get to the mum or babies as he will get the mum pregnant again and may hurt the babies.

he is out with the mum all day so it's not that he needs to get to her. he's been castrated so he can't get her pregnant again. She didn't stop him from trying to get into the babies. I wonder if he is just curious or if he can maybe smell them and wants to get to them? I'm scared he eats them. Does anyone know if that can happen?

Depending on how long he has been castrated for, there is still a chance he could get mum pregnant again. When was he castrated?.

Male rabbits are potentially fertile for up to 6 weeks or so after castration, so your doe could still get pregnant if she isn't already. I would keep them seperate for now.

Back