• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned about my aunties rabbit

Kyle

Young Bun
Heres the thing my auntie bought my little cousin a rabbit (Flop) when he was five hes going to be 8 in November. Flop is being badly neglected. I go over to there house sometimes to look after my cousin and I see Flop the rabbit on is own in a small hutch that clearly hasn't been cleaned out in weeks and has no food in his bowl and the water bottle is always empty:(. My dad has been over there this week to paint her house and has told me it's still bad. Obviously my cousin has no interest. My dad is going to ask her on Friday to see if she wants me to have him hopefully she says yes. He seems so lonely and needs attention. I can't just say to her your neglecting your rabbit. I want to let her know that i'm not happy but need to do it in away so I won't offend her. What should I do?

Can always use something like "I know you're busy so would you like me to look after the rabbit?" and tell her your cousin would be able to visit the bunny all the time.
It's a hard thing, I hope you get the bunny so that it can be happy and your aunt gets the hint and doesn't go out and get another in a few years time:(

Do it.

Make sure you get that rabbit. A few years ago my other half's cousin begged for a rabbit which then sat in a small hutch in much the same situation as Flop. I kept on saying I wanted him but I didn't have the guts to ask seriously. He died and I don't want to know why. But every day I regret not taking him.

You don't have to say they're neglecting him, but something along the lines of you've noticed he often doesn't have food or water and that your cousin isn't interested in him, could you take him to save her the trouble of looking after him, and because you would love to have him. I'm sure you dad can word it well.

Awhile back I was feeling like I didn't have the guts but now it's just so bad if I don't do anything I don't know whats going to happen to him:( I don't think I can wait till Friday so my mum is going ring her up tomorrrow.

I would go along the lines of "Rabbits are such hard work aren't they, mine need cleaning every x days etc etc" then offer to take on the bun as one isn't going to be much extra work and your bunnies would like another friend..

I was in this situation about 3years ago, but with my best friend. Her little sister got a rabbit..called it thumper. Anywho it never got let out, just shut in a shed, never cleaned out, the water bottle was always empty and the food bowl never had any food in it. I asked about it and she said the bunny just was always thirsty :roll: and so..hmm. She left this bunny out through the very worst, new years eve, bonfire night..the works. They even put the gerbils in the shed with the bun...:shock:

The bun didn't have freedom in the shed btw, it was in a hutch within the shed, locked in the hutch!teeny tiny hutch too :cry:.

She'd been my best friend for 11years so it was fairly hard to say much, but i did. She always insisted she could handle it though. Thankfully her dad stepped in (her parents are seperated) and now thumper has a lovely big garden to play in and he's always fed and water..and always has hay!.. just a shame it took so long to sort out, poor darling.

Yeah I don't have a rabbit at the moment because my Kyle died 6 weeks ago and I was going to get 2 bonded rabbits from a rescue I think i'll just look for a wife for him until then i'll get him this soft pet bunny teddy.

Yeah I don't have a rabbit at the moment because my Kyle died 6 weeks ago and I was going to get 2 bonded rabbits from a rescue I think i'll just look for a wife for him until then i'll get him this soft pet bunny teddy.

Oh sorry to hear that :(

In which case can you say you are really missing having a rabbit so can you have theirs...no need to mention the welfare issues, your auntie sounds like she'll be glad of a way out!

Thanks louise and Gus! I'm going to say that lets just hope my cousin will let me have him. If he says no i'm worried my auntie will take his side beacuse he gets his own way all the time it makes me so mad this whole situation.

Back