• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused about panacur

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,
I have searched a lot of threads on the forum and it seems that the correct thing to do it give a one off 28 day course of panacur, then nothing else for them unless any symptoms of EC or other parasites occur in their lifetime. Is this right?
Also, both my bunnies weigh 2.4kg, so this would be just over 0.4mls of the 10% suspension panacur?
Just want to clarify, im overly paranoid :oops:
Thanks,
Laura.

Yes, AFAIK the current advice is to do a one off 28 day course and its very important to bleach clean the Rabbits accomodation on days 21 and 28 of treatment. I use a 10% bleach solution and then rinse well with boiling water.

A 2.4kg Rabbit would require a daily dose of 0.48ml of 10% Panacur.

Oh you learn something new every day. I've been giving mine Panacur every three months and Mini and Nutmeg have never had a course as long as 28 days. :shock:

Another thing to add to my list of 'things-to-have-a-chat-with-the-vet-on-Friday' :lol:

It also depends on the problems concerned.

Those in the US who have been researching EC have found Fenbendazole to not be successful in treating active EC-although I know nothing about buns who carry it (which is most domestic buns). They have progressed onto something else now. That info is very localised over in the US though and not something widely done.

I've had pinworm problems in the past and that needs a different sort of treatment and time frame from what they suggest for EC.

I think really it depends on who you ask for advice as to what advice you et; there doesn't yet seem to be any sort of standard advice right now, especially with EC where still very little is known about it.

There is so much conflicting advice I always find, its difficult to know what is best to do for my rabbits.
Out of curiosity, why bleaching on days 21 and 28? Something to do with the life stages of the parasite?

Back