• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting Q

Flutterby81

Young Bun
Hi

Have put myself forward for adopting bunnies from Nannies Rescue in Northampton, waiting to hear if they will allow them to be adopted as far a field as Mold! And if i can get a bun run/homecheck sorted out!:D

If not i have seen a couple of buns in Manchester( can not believe there are this many buns needing homes-really upsets me:() so i was thinking that if i can't adopt the ones down south that are already bonded, then maybe i could adopt one of the manchester ones and then try and bond them myself.

How easy is this? How long does it take and should i divide the area in 2 so they can sniff each other? Bit nervous about bonding, should it be a female and a neutered male is that the best match?

Going to take pics this weekend of enclosure :D

Hi :wave: welcome to RU

I am not far from you and would be happy to help with bonding a bun run and home check if needed (I do checks for the rspca). Lots of the buns on RU have been adopted from rescues far away including my two boys who came from Fatfluffs in b'ham so that shouldnt be a problem depending on the rescue.

From experience Nannas don't do home checks, or neuter there bunnies. In fact my opinion of them isn't very high at all, but if you do adopt from there we would happily collect bunny for you and maybe meet up with someone else for part of the run. Will give us an excuse to have another nose round ;)

We have a bonded pair here ;)

Maggie and Pablo
3.5 yrs old.
Dwarf Lop X's

Maggie is more independant though since being spayed, is coming round to human attention.
Pablo is very people orientated. He loves a nose rub once he gets to know you and is so laid back and relaxed!

magrabkittycat004.jpg

A lot of rescues do bonding, so if there are two in the same rescue in Manchester, I'm sure they would be willing to bond them before you adopted. ;):)

Hi

Thank you so much for the post. That would be fantastic if you could do the homecheck, the lady i need to speak to is fundraising until Thursday -so first thing i will be ringing her!

Contacted another rescue nearer London and couldn't go ahead with the adoption because they have a policy where you have to collect them yourself-so found Titch and Rexy on Nannas. Have never had a Rex before, apart from giving them a helping hand with grooming-is there anything else i should do (more than with a normally bun etc). They are in Northampton, about 3.5hours drive-is that to long/awkward for a bun run?

Hi

Thank you so much for the post. That would be fantastic if you could do the homecheck, the lady i need to speak to is fundraising until Thursday -so first thing i will be ringing her!

Contacted another rescue nearer London and couldn't go ahead with the adoption because they have a policy where you have to collect them yourself-so found Titch and Rexy on Nannas. Have never had a Rex before, apart from giving them a helping hand with grooming-is there anything else i should do (more than with a normally bun etc). They are in Northampton, about 3.5hours drive-is that to long/awkward for a bun run?

Rex buns do tend to suffer from sore hocks so soft bedding required having said that my Albert has no problems and spends some time on concrete. Three and a half hours isnt too bad it took me that long to get home the first time I went to b'ham to pick up Dutchie. If you are looking for a bun closer to home have you seen these?
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=197952
They arent far from you are already bonded and are looking for a home. their foster mum is Capel on here and is really lovely

Crickey-you all posted fast i was still typing my response to the first one!!:lol:

Firstly thank you for all those replys.

webbkath-Thank you will definately take up on all that! Please!

KarenM-Thats a good idea.

Hugo's There-Very interesting, could you shed more light on that as these on the only rabbits we are going to have (not ever but don't want to think about rainbows -before we have even got them!!!!) and i would really like to rehome from a good rescue that neuters, vacinates, homechecks and adopt buns that need to be spoilt rotten!! Feel free to pm me if you would prefer.

StarlightsRabbitRescue-They are sooo cute, we live 8 miles from Mold-whereabouts is the rescue, are we too far away and what are the buns background? Going to look into Nannas Rescue more after what has been posted as i am taking the adoption seriously and don't want to make any mistakes especially serious ones like that! And then go from there if thats ok, don't want to be saying yes to loads of buns and disappoint or let anyone down!:(

How do you all cope seeing all the buns in need, finding it really upsetting that there are sooooo many out there that need good homes :cry:

StarlightsRabbitRescue-They are sooo cute, we live 8 miles from Mold-whereabouts is the rescue, are we too far away and what are the buns background? Going to look into Nannas Rescue more after what has been posted as i am taking the adoption seriously and don't want to make any mistakes especially serious ones like that! And then go from there if thats ok, don't want to be saying yes to loads of buns and disappoint or let anyone down!:(

How do you all cope seeing all the buns in need, finding it really upsetting that there are sooooo many out there that need good homes :cry:

We are is Essex, but we do rehome nationally pending on homechecks and using bunruns :)
Background- they were brought in after their daughter had grown up and was taking a year out to travel before uni- leaving the buns behind :(

Maggie had the start of a tumour on her ovary, but this was successfully removed when she was spayed. They are such a lovely pair and are doted to each other. They will need a fairly large enclosure.

What size is yours?

Poor Maggie!

Why was it the daughters rabbit in the first place. When my mum and dad bought a rabbit it may well have been 'my' pet to me but they were always there if i went off on school trips and made sure they went to the vets and their waterbottles didn't freeze etc.

Anyway!! :roll:

Its an open front shed, with half wood, half mesh front (will post pics soon)
8ft by 6ft min and would put a large hutch in there-open all day, closed at night(nothing would be able to get in but i would feel better and be able to sleep, if they were all tucked in).

As long as the hutch inside is 6x2x2, that would be fine :)

Have you thought of an attached run?

Some people on the forum have done this via catflap in the side of the shed :)

Crickey-you all posted fast i was still typing my response to the first one!!:lol:

Firstly thank you for all those replys.

Hugo's There-Very interesting, could you shed more light on that as these on the only rabbits we are going to have (not ever but don't want to think about rainbows -before we have even got them!!!!) and i would really like to rehome from a good rescue that neuters, vacinates, homechecks and adopt buns that need to be spoilt rotten!! Feel free to pm me if you would prefer.

Here is the bunny I "rescued" from there http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=121019&highlight=meredith+pyometra

I know it has been visited more recently and nothing seems to have changed :(

Liz I have just read all this I think it was just before I joined. It sounds like as always you did an amazing job. What was the outcome for Meredith if you dont mind me asking

She had one very happy year here with us, bonded to Bertie. She passed away by his side in March from heart failure. Bertie never really recovered from loosing her despite being rebonded, he had to be pts suddenly a couple of months ago, so they are now reunited at the bridge :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130153&highlight=bertie+meredith

Ok I shouldnt have asked that now im crying at work :oops:

Don't be sad, she really did have a lovely year, she was very happy here :)

We don't know how old she was but it could have been 10 years or more, so it was just her time to go. She didn't suffer and wasn't ill, just faded away one night.

Oh my god that's terrible!:cry:

Did they offer to pay towards treatment or anything?

Poor bunny-thankfully found you though!

I never got back in touch with them, I wouldn't have been responsible for my actions if I had seen them again.

the info they were giving to the public was awful, ie you do not need to spay a doe if it isn't with a male as it wont come into season alone so cannot get uterine cancer. Also you cannot myxi vacc a rabbit if you have another bunny not upto date on vaccinations as it is a live vaccine so the newly vaccinated rabbit will pass it on to the unprotected buns :roll:

The year previous they lost all their rescue buns to myxi, may have something to do with the fact that the hutches (if you could call them that) were huddled round a stagnant pond :evil:

They also picked the buns up by their scruffs and carried them around hanging like that with no support, and were teaching students on day placements to do the same. I have never come so close to wanting to hit someone :censored:

They have huge dogs that had stood on the runs so the mesh was caved in to reach the ground with so many sharp edges and holes, yet the buns were still trying to exercise in them :cry::cry:

Thats awful - can someone not report them or something! Places like this really undermine the brilliant work rescues do.

Back