• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does it matter if a rabbit has lived with another?

pudding777

Alpha Buck
Hi I have put a recent thread up about finding my bunny a friend. Daisy has had company all her life untill her friend died in August. Now, the question is do I look for a rabbit that has previously lived with another, therefore more natural instincts on how to interact. Or in everyones experience please, do you find that there is not much difference if they have lived with another before? So for instance, a 6 year now comes to meet my Rabbit but it has never lived with another before does it have the social skills to rely on to get on with another at such an old age?:?:?:?

Out Tim had never lived with another bunny and he was bonded at the age of 5 with no problems.:D

I don't think it has an impact. I think the personalities are more key.

Summer came to us a very old lady and she had never even seen another rabbit, but she bonded into a pair and then a trio very, very easily (in fact, all bonds including Summer were the easiest I have had because she was such an awesome rabbit).

I have some who have always known rabbits that just won't take anyone else, or divorce a lot and stuff like that.

Just look for a rabbit that Daisy likes :)

Out Tim had never lived with another bunny and he was bonded at the age of 5 with no problems.:D

Same here.
Zakura had never lived with another rabbit (she had MET other rabbits but only briefly and with varying results...most of them were un-neutered males :roll: She's neutered but no one told them) but when she was 4 I decided to get her a friend. I adopted the next door rabbit who had been living (un-neutered!) with another buck (also un-neutered! Don't ask me who they did it) I got him neutered and tried letting them meet in the shed. I didn't have any 100% neutral grounds but they got along pretty well, after just a bit of chasing and humping from a newly neutered Cloud.
They've shared a run on the lawn since spring and get along quite well:3

I have to admit, I think rabbits who have lived with another actually bond more easily, it doesn't mean that ones who have been alone all their lives won't bond, but generally I've found it easier with ones who have.:)

Back