• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

abcess help-drugs used

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi
a dear friend of mine is didtraught as her bunny has a facial abcess and osteomyelitis coming from his skull bone. She is living in Sweden and has asked me to give her some info on drugs used over here with good sucess.
i have heard that zithromax has had good sucess, anyone tried it! with these kind but has anyone else had good experiences with any particular types of drugs, please list them here and then i can pass them onto her so she can give her vet some other ideas!
thanks!

Bicillin if its available in Sweden
Depocillin
Ceporex
Metronidazole ASWELL as one of the above.

Is it tooth root in origin ?

we used injectible depocillin for a facial abcess with accompanying internal jaw degradation to very good effect.

This sounds a very nasty infection.
I was told authoritatively that PAIN & stress can cause a bun's White cell count to fall.
In addition to AB's I would use Echinacea to boost bun's immune responses & consider vitamin supplements.
Everything crossed for the little bun.

We used Oxytetracycline LA (engemycin) on Mack by injection every third day and also Ornicure Powder (doxycycline) mixed with Intrasite gel and applied directly into the wound. We used this because it was indicated on the C&S analysis of the abcess capsule (the intrasite gel promotes healing and made a good vehicle for the application of the powder).

We also tried injectable depocillin every other day before this.

This is very useful:

Full Article

On the day Dr. Schwartz returned, Pandora took a turn for the worse. She became lethargic and stopped eating, and I feared she would not survive much longer. I called Dr. Schwartz, and we discussed a relatively new procedure in which beads which are impregnated with an antibiotic are implanted at the sight of the abscess. Dr. Schwartz informed me that the procedure has been used in human medicine since the early 1970's, but has only been attempted on rabbits within the last few years. The veterinarian combines a bone cement with an antibiotic, fashioning the mixture into beads. The beads are implanted at the site of the abscess and remain inside the rabbit as the antibiotic is slowly released over a period of months or perhaps even years. Dr. Schwartz also explained that in Pandora's case he used an antibiotic called amikacin, and that although this particular antibiotic can cause kidney problems in rabbits if administered via injection, the slow release of the antibiotic from beads does not result in kidney damage.

Back