• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on old rabbit

Hello

Need some advice Donald is 10 years old at the end of October but today I noticed he fell off to the side. I took him out the hutch and put him on carpet he walked on all fours then sat for ages and eventually starting hopping. I put him back in his hutch where he has sat basically in the same spot the whole day. I took him back out again there and he is doing alot of streching his back legs out but is still hopping. He does occassionally look like he is about to fall to the side.

The vets are shut today as its a holiday in Glasgow so going to have to wait till the morning to phone for advice from them

He does suffer alot with teeth problems and bascially because of his age only has teeth on one side.

I just dont know what to do, my husband says its not fair to keep putting him through anesthic (sorry spelling rubbish)

To make matters worse my hormones are all over the place as I am pregnant so I dont think I am good at making a decision so need some bunny advice
Thanks

Hello

Need some advice Donald is 10 years old at the end of October but today I noticed he fell off to the side. I took him out the hutch and put him on carpet he walked on all fours then sat for ages and eventually starting hopping. I put him back in his hutch where he has sat basically in the same spot the whole day. I took him back out again there and he is doing alot of streching his back legs out but is still hopping. He does occassionally look like he is about to fall to the side.

The vets are shut today as its a holiday in Glasgow so going to have to wait till the morning to phone for advice from them

He does suffer alot with teeth problems and bascially because of his age only has teeth on one side.

I just dont know what to do, my husband says its not fair to keep putting him through anesthic (sorry spelling rubbish)

To make matters worse my hormones are all over the place as I am pregnant so I dont think I am good at making a decision so need some bunny advice
Thanks

Hi, I know it's a holiday, but there should be an emergency vet covering at your local vets or it may be outsourced to an emergency vet service - either way there should be someone available today. There are many possibilities - especially in such an old fella - but I think the reality is he needs to see a vet today. It's not something in my opinion that can wait til the morning. Is he eating and pooing?

ETA a vet not familiar with buns may not be certain as to what is going on. If he is eating and pooing ok then he may be ok until tomorow. It could be anything from a vascular stroke (due to his age) to E.Cuniculi - and would need a vet to find out what is going on.

Last edited:
Please take him to a vet as soon as possible. Sounds like he may have E.Cuniculi parasite (I can't spell too) - this can be treated or some sort of paralysis.

If he's too old to cope with an anaesthetic then most likely he would die peacefully under it so I see no reason to hold off just because of his age :)

The current issue could be several things and unrelated to his teeth. A stroke or arthritis or an ear infection could effect his balance. The vet will need to see him to rule things out so until they've had a good look just keep him comfortable and make sure he's eating well.

If he's too old to cope with an anaesthetic then most likely he would die peacefully under it so I see no reason to hold off just because of his age :)

The current issue could be several things and unrelated to his teeth. A stroke or arthritis or an ear infection could effect his balance. The vet will need to see him to rule things out so until they've had a good look just keep him comfortable and make sure he's eating well.

I agree. My older bunny has to have regular anaesthetics for teeth problems. Unless he was suffering dreadfully there's no way I would stop/have him PTS simply because of his age. At the moment he is happy in all other respects.

Hope you managed to get Donald to the emergency vet. Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of this current problem and he starts to improve soon. Ten is a grand old age!

Hi all

Thought I better keep you up to speed. I phoned my vet this morning and I was to go straight there. When the vet felt his tummy area she felt him wincing in pain and also felt a very large liver. She advised to do blood tests but she didnt think it was good. An hour later she phoned back and confirmed that he was in liver failure and also had because of that diabetes. As he was in pain and because of his age her advice was to let go as we could have controlled the pain but we dont know how long for. After a very hard decision I decided that she was right. I went with my mum and sister and said goodbye to him.

We brought him home to my mums where he spent most of his life. We found a lovely spot and laid him to rest with his favourite carrot toy and carrot treats.

I miss him already but I know deep down it was the best thing I could have done for him especially since he was in so much pain.

Thanks for all your advice on what to do

Back