• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby gates

Joh619

Alpha Buck
Hey up,

We have just moved Walter and Nora into the house for the winter as they were getting very upset at us having to put them back in their hutch at 7 as it was starting to get dark! So now they have their own massive room that they can run around in all day. We were going to make them a little shelter, but just ended up buying a cheap hutch as it was going to be about the same price. It's from P@H but I can't imagine it lasting 5mins outside! But it's just somewhere to put their litter tray and hay and water bottle really.

Anyhoo, 2 things :) Firstly, does anyone use a baby gate to keep the bunnies in one room? At the mo they just have the door shut but it's a glass door so we can see them. I was just worried that they might get their heads stuck in a baby gate?

Also, is there anything that would be good for the floor? They've got about a 4x4 square of lino infront of the hutch, but the rest is just laminate floor (although there's a doormat that they were both sat on this morning). They're fine hopping around on it, but if you startle them they do slip around a bit. Was thinking of maybe getting a cheap rug or something? It's a pretty massive area (probably about 10ft x 7ft) that's not covered with lino. Dunno what would be best to put down?

Anything else anyone would reccomend for some new house bunnies? :)

We have a stairgate and both of ours could squeeze through it when we first installed it. We have now got chicken wire wrapped around each of the legs (hope that makes sense). Some rabbits could easliy jump the stairgate (luckily ours dont).

We have very cheap washable rugs and fleeces on the floor.

hope that helps.

We have wooden baby gates and have attached pieces of plywood to them with cable ties so they can't chew them or get their heads stuck :)

I just have a glass door too and cover the floor with rugs, blankets,towels and fleeces..I should probably add I have bought each of my bunnies a duvet and duvet cover each..because they just love to snuggle in them, dig them and also 'slide' on them..:lol: Party time!

Baby gates and extendable wooden/plastic trellis are godsends! I pick the gates up really cheap at bootsales I seem to collect them :oops:
Luckily both of ours are to big to fit through the bars of a baby gate but chicken wire would prevent escape successfully.
Blue spends most of his time on the sofa and Beas room is carpetted so no help there sorry!

oooo duvets - that sounds quite snuggly!

I also have some mesh that's just sat in my shed, so could attach that to the baby gate so they can't get themselves stuck :DI can just see Walter getting his head stuck in something like that. I can't imagine them managing to jump over it though. I've never seen any evidence of them jumping very high, and the room they're in is lower down so they'd have further to jump. I'd probably only leave the door open when I was in the kitchen though - don't want to come home to bunny carnage if I can help it!

Thanks for the replies :)

Back