• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

desperateadvice on myxi needed

Buggerlugs

New Kit
Hi, this is my first post so i dont know if the subjects been covered,

i have 2 rabbits-Junior, a british giant who is an 8 month neutered male and lives in the house
and Magic, a 5 month old lop who currently lives in the 8x6 shed+attached run as Junior has not long been neutered so didnt want to risk babies.

i have just returned from several days in hospital and have been pretty much bed ridden since coming home. a neighbour was looking after magic whilst Junior was looked after by my hubby in between hospital visits and caring for our daughter.
Anyway, i ventured out to see Magic this morning and was completely horrified to see she has full blown myxi symptoms-i am heartbroken and so scared. i was assured when i bought her that she had had her jab in july but she still has it. i didnt touch her or go in the shed but i am still worried that Junior may catch it-what can i do to stop this? he had his vaccinations in august. i have to wait til 5.30 for magic to go to the vet but in the meantime i dont know what to do.....
PLEASE HELP

I am sorry to hear this :cry:

If Magic was vaccinated in the last 6 months then she has a fighting chance of getting through this.

Another member on here 'parsnipbun' is currently caring for one of her Rabbits who has Myxomatosis. I am sure she will post on here if she sees this thread.
Or you could PM her for some advice.

As far as Junior is concerned then he is obviously up-to-date with his vaccination. I would also Flea treat him and any other Pets you have.

Here is parsnipbun's thread :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=195035

Good luck at the Vets

Definately read Parsnip Buns thread.

If your rabbits are seperate make sure you wash yourself and change clothes between handling them and/or always try to handle the healthy bun first.

Hi thanks for the advice. Magic has now crossed over and l cant stop crying.
By the time my husband got her to the vets she was really struggling to breath through her mouth so he had to say goodbye for me

Hi thanks for the advice. Magic has now crossed over and l cant stop crying.
By the time my husband got her to the vets she was really struggling to breath through her mouth so he had to say goodbye for me

I am so sorry :cry:

Myxi really is evil

Binky Free Magic

xx

I am so so sorry for your loss of Magic. Myxi has taken buns from me too, its a vile disease :cry:

I hope your other bun will be ok! *hugs* xx

Back