• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips on making your own run

amanda 2807

Warren Scout
:wave:Hi there everyone just wondered if anyone has any tips on how to make a run eg. what wood /size, wire ,screws ect ect thanks.

Sorry, I'm not an expert. All I'll say is to make the mesh quite fine, (you don't want weasles or snakes getting through), and if it's going to be a stationary run bury wire underneath so they can't dig out. A lid is also useful for keeping preditors out, and making the buns feel safer.

Aviary panels are great as it just takes a few screws and hinges to make a decent sized run. Threre are a few online willing to deliver

i made my own run there. we had left over weather board and some thing wood. i made each panel up then stabled meesh to it then screwed it all together.

piccy
P1000533.jpg

Yep use a nice thick wood like 47mm x 22mm and 1" x 0.5" mesh probably about 19guage. Get yourself a pair of metal sheet cutting scissors to make cutting the mesh easy. Also get an electric staple gun and use lots and lots of staples to fix the mesh to the wood.

You want to make panels that are 6ft x 3ft as they are easy to make since your mesh will be 3ft tall. Lay out the wood on the floor and then use some little screws and some metal corner pieces and a right angle set square type thing to hold the wood in exact squares. Once they're all secured together using these corner pieces then drill some holes through the outer wood and into the inside wood and then use some long 3" screws to actually fix them together. Be careful as it's easy to split the wood, especially if you don't get the drill hole straight. Use two screws on each join to stop it twisting. If you're making 6ft x 3ft panels use a central support so you have two squares of 3ft each.

Your roof and floor will be slightly different dimensions than the other panels, so measure up carefully. You can attach some of the roof panels with hinges if you want to lift them up, but I would secure at least 50% of them with screws.

Back