• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male older rabbit wanted for Daisy

pudding777

Alpha Buck
I am looking to offer a good home to an older male neautered rabbit but cant find one!! Here's the story-
I rehomed 2 female rabbits in August from a family member. They were moving house and the rabbits had been getting very little attention for a while. I bought them lots of toys and a bigger run hoping they would have a happier life with me. Unfortunatley 2 week later one of my rabbits died. Leaving the more nervous lionhead Daisy. I feel so sorry for her as her little friend used to play, groom and nozzle each other all day long.
I think Daisy is approx 5 or 6 years old.
She is a gentle little thing but quite nervous.
I would love to find a friend for her. I have looked on rabbit rehome, rang a few rescues up, studied the subject on bonding. I am building up a playhouse ready for the winter where I would like Daisy and her new friend to live with a 20 to 30 foot run area attached.
Does anyone have an older neautered male rabbit in need of a new home and wifey?
I took Daisy to the vets for a general checkover and she is fit and well. But she is not neautered and I am not sure I should put her through this kind of op at her age? I understand she could be more unfriendly and territorial because she is not neautered, but not impossible?
I will not let Daisy in her new playhouse shed untill she meets up with her new pal so it will be a neutral place for them.
I would like help with the bonding process and backup if anything goes wrong.
Anyone any suggestions? Thare must be a new friend out there somewhere for her?
Many thanks Paula

We have Pluto.

He is a 4 year old Chinchilla bun. :love:
He loves his nose rubs and is very friendly.

I have sent females in for spay at 6-7 yrs, and if she is in good health, i would opt to spay, as 85-90% of females over the age of 3 will develop Uterine cancer.

We have Pluto.

He is a 4 year old Chinchilla bun. :love:
He loves his nose rubs and is very friendly.

I have sent females in for spay at 6-7 yrs, and if she is in good health, i would opt to spay, as 85-90% of females over the age of 3 will develop Uterine cancer.

A lovely friendly 4 year old... but your in Essex!!!!

I will take your advice about spaying Daisy and give it a good thinking over. In the mean time I am trying to pinpoint her proper age by asking lots of questions from her old owners.
Many thanks for your reply.

I am looking to offer a good home to an older male neautered rabbit but cant find one!! Here's the story-
I rehomed 2 female rabbits in August from a family member. They were moving house and the rabbits had been getting very little attention for a while. I bought them lots of toys and a bigger run hoping they would have a happier life with me. Unfortunatley 2 week later one of my rabbits died. Leaving the more nervous lionhead Daisy. I feel so sorry for her as her little friend used to play, groom and nozzle each other all day long.
I think Daisy is approx 5 or 6 years old.
She is a gentle little thing but quite nervous.
I would love to find a friend for her. I have looked on rabbit rehome, rang a few rescues up, studied the subject on bonding. I am building up a playhouse ready for the winter where I would like Daisy and her new friend to live with a 20 to 30 foot run area attached.
Does anyone have an older neautered male rabbit in need of a new home and wifey?
I took Daisy to the vets for a general checkover and she is fit and well. But she is not neautered and I am not sure I should put her through this kind of op at her age? I understand she could be more unfriendly and territorial because she is not neautered, but not impossible?
I will not let Daisy in her new playhouse shed untill she meets up with her new pal so it will be a neutral place for them.
I would like help with the bonding process and backup if anything goes wrong.
Anyone any suggestions? Thare must be a new friend out there somewhere for her?
Many thanks Paula

Just sent you a PM. We're only in Scunthorpe :wave:

Thank you. I am just chasing up a few people up here in Yorkshire first as its my first time bonding and quite a novice when it comes to rabbits (Dogs and Guinea pig pro though), as I would like that support close by - If that makes sense?:oops:
But please, anyone from rescue who has a male bun let me know PLEASE.:)

Just to let you know I have Daisy booked in for a pre-spey health check tomorrow morning at a vet which was recommended on this site. I still think she's about 6 years old, so I am worrying like mad if I'm making the right decision? She has been through so much already with moving, loosing her friend now taken to the vet..... I am so worried how she'll be after the Op (if it goes ahead). I feel so sorry for her thats my problem.
The receptionist said to leave her for a good month to recover before introducing her to a friend?
Give me some support everyone - is this the right way to go with her?

Hi Paula. I think you are making the right decision. If she is fit and well and your vet is experienced with rabbit spaying , she will be fine. Milly was spayed when she was 5 and didn't seem to realise she'd even had an op! Her recovery was very quick.:)

she will be fine:D. I have a 4yr old male that is in for castration today and is a lovely temprement:D

I have just received and email from a rescue asking if we have space for an 8 year old buck, would that be too old for you?

I have just received and email from a rescue asking if we have space for an 8 year old buck, would that be too old for you?

I'm not sure? I was hoping more 3-6 years, but I supose it depends on Daisy?
But I would prefer a little younger? If you get anymore info on size and temperament let me know. Having her pre-spey checkup tomorrow and advice from the vet. Wanting to get things moving as soon as she need a pal to bring her out of herself.
I keep sitting in her run but she ignores me. Tempting her with dandilions gets her to stretch her body out to take them off me.
She can come right up to my patio door just where I am working on my computer now and see her pottering around, and I just want to open the doors and invite her in but I know she will just fly off into her hutch. I just want Daisy to be a happy bunny.

:wave: I have met Kays buns and they're gorgeous..I'm sure she'll help you find a good husbun for daisy!:D ...good luck

I'm not sure? I was hoping more 3-6 years, but I supose it depends on Daisy?
But I would prefer a little younger? If you get anymore info on size and temperament let me know. Having her pre-spey checkup tomorrow and advice from the vet. Wanting to get things moving as soon as she need a pal to bring her out of herself.
I keep sitting in her run but she ignores me. Tempting her with dandilions gets her to stretch her body out to take them off me.
She can come right up to my patio door just where I am working on my computer now and see her pottering around, and I just want to open the doors and invite her in but I know she will just fly off into her hutch. I just want Daisy to be a happy bunny.

This is part of the email, which was sent to the rescue and forwarded to me

We have a small male lionhead rabbit, now approaching 8 years old, and daughter has gone off to university. We are struggling to ensure he is properly looked after as we are at work full-time and away every weekend. He has been well looked after and had regular vet visits and all his jabs. I fear now that it is simply not fair to him to be left without regular attention.

Just to let you all know that Daisy didn't pass her 'MOT' at the vet and they adviced me not to get her spey.
I feel pretty down about it as plans to get her a friend were whizzing through my head with thing to do and prepare for.
The vet said Daisy was a little underweight under all her fur. But she does eat well here, although not hay, her last owners never fed her this and after tempting her with everything on the market she still ignores it. But thats a different story!
She said she thought there was 'something' going on inside as when she felt her stomach she made a funny noise? And she had a snuffly nose which her last owners said she has had for years on and off? Sometimes she goes into little sneezers.
I am going to monitor her weight.
Anyway just wanted to say thanks for everyones advice..... still pondering.
By the way, she doesnt run away from me as much now, with patience and bribes of tasty dandilions.
Today a dove has kept her company. It has been sitting in her run for the last few hours. It's obviously not well, but now it's got up and perched on the run fence. It's getting up it strengh hopefully. Or a reincarnation of Bluebell coming to say Hello??;)

Back