• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Question - How many small rabbits in an 8ft hutch?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
How many bonded rabbits (All small) could be kept in an 8ft hutch? A run wouldn't be attatched, but the rabbits would be out in the run, or free range for nearly all of the day.

Thanks

What are the other dimensions, would it be 2ft deep and 2ft high as well?

Without a run attached, to be honest I'd still say 2 comfortably, and an absolute maximum of 3 at a push. 8*2 is still only 16 square feet, which isn't a lot for a number of buns.

If there was a run attached I would say 3+ (depending on size of run etc) but without attached run I'd still say 2, as with the best will in the world, the rabbits are still going to be in the hutch for, say, 16 hours a day, including dawn and dusk when they are most active.

The other dimensions would be probably 2 or 3 ft high and just over 2 ft deep. When they were out, they probably would have the whole garden to run about in seen as they wouldn't need to be seperated.

I would say two.... I only had three in a 2 tier 7 x 2 x 3 (high) so they all have space to get away from each other

8'x2' is pretty big, if you went for 3' high you could add a shelf for more space. If you did that and they would be out every day (guaranteed even when the weather is horrid) then you could go for 3.

I'd hesitate to go more as like Santa says the problem is they are usually most active when shut in.

Have you thought about double storey, eg 8'x2' hutch with a run compartment underneath?

No double story isn't an option.
I was just wondering, I'm no where near the point of getting more rabbits yet.

Back