• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Hutches in Metal Shed?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I've seen some nice metal sheds, and was wondering if they would get really hot or cold depending on the weather (On the inside). In summer I'd leave the front door open all the time, and put in a fan. In winter I'd use extra bedding and heat lamps.

What do you all think? I was also going to put something on the roof so it isn't noisy when it rains.

I don't think I'd put my bunnies in a metal shed because of the extremes of temperatures to be honest.....I'd sooner have a wooden one or brick built (luckily I had brick built sheds already here when I moved in!)

I wouldn't get a metal shed, the will get too hot in summer (if we ever have one) and are too cold in winter.

If you are going to have to make all those adjustments, why not just get a wooden shed? Leaving the door open may put the buns at risk of predation/ attack or escape. Running electicity in could be dangerour to the buns and to your house if not done by a qualified electrician, and the noise of heavy rain reverpberating on the tin roof, would be enought to terrify anyone, never mind rabbits.

Sorry

As the others say. You don't want roast rabbit or iced buns, do you?

Nah, sorry to dissapoint you. There are some really lovely timber sheds though.

Maybe not then.

They just seem like they would last so much longer, and they're cheaper too.

I think if you invest in a well made shed (not of of the cheap flimsy things,) you will find that it will last a long time

my o/h wanted to put are bunns in our metal shed. untill one hot day in september i opened the door and made him stand inside, then he realised how hot it got then let alone in the summer. luckily for me his mum was here and beeing a dog lover backed me up and said she wouldnt put max in there :)

We have a metal shed for storage, in the summer we have to have the door open because it gets SO hot... i worry about the paint, a bunny would cook in there, literally. Also the joins arent great so rain gets in :? And in the winter theres like condensation that runs down the insides.

I wouldnt advise it :)

Back