• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My newly adopted buns...low maintenance in the hay department

blackspots

Warren Scout
I've recently adopted my hairdresser's buns as they were being ignored and not bothered with anymore. They originally came to me for some grass for a couple of weeks, and I'm glad to say they are now staying for good because her little girl 'hasn't asked about them'. They arrived with straw, muesli mix, wood shavings, and their hutch. No hay, nor could I see any remainder in their hutch so I'm not sure they were given it at all.

Since arriving they have enjoyed eating the lawn, endless supplies of hay, and veggies. They are getting friendlier and are happy to come over and say hi and are getting much better at relaxing while I pick them up to go in their grass run. They have also swopped hutches with my guineas so they have more space for stretching and standing.

Funny thing with them is that they love hay, but it has to be bog standard 'no frills' stuff. I thought I would be treating them the other day by getting the PAH stuff with dandelion in but they turned their noses up! Plus, they were only accepting a particular brand of regular meadow hay from a particular local pet shop. Funny buns! Anyway, I 'invested' in a farm shop bale yesterday, figuring the guineas would get through it if it still didn't meet the bun's exacting standards and I'm pleased to report they love it (as do the guineas). Phew! £4 stuff from now on, and it will last for ages. Brucey bonus!

Shadow
Photo-0226.jpg

Daphne (Daphy-blue)
Photo-0224.jpg

The friends exploring
Photo-0228.jpg

Wood shavings

PS. forgot to say that after extensive reading on here yesterday about wood shavings the buns will be moving over to megazorb in their next clean out. Plus, it's my birthday this week so I'm getting a new two-tier huge hutch for them so the guineas are no longer relegated, and an add-on to the grass run to make it bigger.

Arent they gorgous....and they have fallen on all 4 paws with you!! What lucky buns!!xx

Your bunsters are so cute :love: and they are lucky to be adopted by you. :) I totally agree with your decision to change their bedding from woodshavings to megazorb.

Thankyou!

Thankyou everyone for your lovely comments. I'm spending every waking minute researching bunnies so that I'm doing my very best for them! I've seen lots of pics of your bunnies lying stretched out looking very relaxed, but Daffy and Shadow aren't doing this, they tend to lay pretty tightly. I'd love them to relax and stretch right out with their legs.

Awwww, well done for giving them a home. I'm sure once they're settled they'll be all relaxed and lying all stretched out for you. :D:D

Back