• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant rabbit info

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Can i please have as much info as poss please:) Id like to know about health problems,housing (with pics if poss;)) feeding,temprement and anything else you can tell me

My Frenchie is the most laod back lovely bunny ever and is much more like a dog than a bunny, she has a room to share with the dwarf pal and free run when we are home. They're fab :)

They are the best!!!!!:D:D:D

...you technically need more space...they do best as free range house bunnies! Although I find they flop most the time so don't use all that space! (Frenchies anyway! I can't remember where I heard it but the Conti's are more energetic) Just one level is best.

You need lots of long sleeves and have to be VERY strong! (Without meaning to they can wind you by propelling themselves off your tummy) They can rip your arms and tummy to shreds without meaning to!

I think that they make the best pets (but each individual bun is different) and you won't regret your decision!

They need as much space a s possible.Mine are free range in the garden all day and in the summer have twelve foot runs to go in at night time and in the Winter they sleep in a massive shed.Mine have suffered terrible health problems due to them carrying the staph bacteria which has caused abscesses in their feet,ear infections and snuffle related illnesses.I believe that some contis carry this illness and its contagious.I personally think they are the most beautiful kind,sweet natured bunnies in the world,more like little doggies than rabbits.

I personally dont think french lops need huge cages as they are quite lazy but saying that they do need plenty of time out the cage.Barley is free range but curls up in the smallest of places!:lol:When Dill was getting used to our home & we had to cage them lots,it didn't bother Barley at all.I think it bothered me more than her,seeing her shut in a cage.
Willow lived until she was almost 7 without any health problems until old age.This is a good age as was told frenchies live between 4-5 years.Frenchies are prone to eye & hip problems.Will had entropian,B hasn't.A good weight for a frenchie is 11lbs & above.Will weighed 15lbs but Barley only weighs 9-10lbs.B had a bad start in life which is probably why shes small & has health problems.
I have a feeling you are more interested in contis,am sorry dont know anything about them but have heard they dont make as good housebunnies as are very energetic & can be distructive.Never having one,I dont know if this is true.In my opinion you cant judge a breed just by one rabbit.My 2 frenchies were very different in looks & personality.I am very biased but think frenchies are the best!!

They need as much space a s possible.Mine are free range in the garden all day and in the summer have twelve foot runs to go in at night time and in the Winter they sleep in a massive shed.Mine have suffered terrible health problems due to them carrying the staph bacteria which has caused abscesses in their feet,ear infections and snuffle related illnesses.I believe that some contis carry this illness and its contagious.I personally think they are the most beautiful kind,sweet natured bunnies in the world,more like little doggies than rabbits.

sarah, that is so sad :cry: I am really sorry to hear about your buns, I haven't been around much, so I missed this. xxx

I have noticed that giant buns can't binky properly, they sort of do a half one in the air shaking their heads, but I think the weight of them doesn't let them get higher :lol:

Giant buns are so sooooooo sweet natured, laid back and massive fuss pots! They are not like any other breed of bun I have come across :love:

I love my Daisy very much :love:, but she is definitely up there in RU's top destructabuns list :lol:

In my experience, for a conti housebun you need to provide plenty of space for crazy dashing about/binky sessions and loads of toys and things to do - a bored conti = a trashed room.

Make sure you undertake bunny proofing x10! Daisy has managed quite an impressive trail of destruction since she moved in, and continues to surprise me with her strength and agility. This morning for instance, I'd left my new Kitchen Garden magazine on top of a four foot bookcase - when I returned about half an hour later I discovered a pile of ripped up paper on the floor :roll: :lol:

I love my Daisy very much :love:, but she is definitely up there in RU's top destructabuns list :lol:

In my experience, for a conti housebun you need to provide plenty of space for crazy dashing about/binky sessions and loads of toys and things to do - a bored conti = a trashed room.

Make sure you undertake bunny proofing x10! Daisy has managed quite an impressive trail of destruction since she moved in, and continues to surprise me with her strength and agility. This morning for instance, I'd left my new Kitchen Garden magazine on top of a four foot bookcase - when I returned about half an hour later I discovered a pile of ripped up paper on the floor :roll: :lol:

You should see what Vinnie a little rex bunny did to the spare room, holes in the walls and wallpaper ripped off around the room up to 2ft high All the way round the room:lol:

What sort of size area do you leave your buns in un supervised?

My two are free range in their bedroom 24hrs a day (guestimate 14ft x 12ft). They used to have the landing and stairs too, but lots of wall went missing, so they only get to play there when I can keep an eye on them!

My two are free range in their bedroom 24hrs a day (guestimate 14ft x 12ft). They used to have the landing and stairs too, but lots of wall went missing, so they only get to play there when I can keep an eye on them!

Do they come downstairs too? Any pics of there room?

Do they come downstairs too? Any pics of there room?

At the moment they don't come downstairs as we're redecorating / undertaking fairly major repairs (not all bunny-related :lol:) and it's not bunny-proof down here, but Daisy used to have free range of the house and my plan is that hopefully soon they will be free range again.

I have a couple of pics of their room from a little while ago, but they don't show much really. I haven't got a decent one showing all their boxes and toys out etc. Anyway, here you go:
space.jpg
treats.jpg

I've moved back in now and got a metal bed in the room, but they still have lots of space - they've turned under the bed into a den and dragged their matress bed and tunnel under there :lol:

Back