• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First moult in nearly 2 years, coming out in rex coat? :S

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Harley is nearly 2, and for the first time ever he is having quite a heavy moult.
Earlier today I found that fur was coming off when I brushed or stroked him, and he had a patch on top that looked soft, dark and like baby fur. I brushed him some more 5 minutes ago, and got loads more loose hair off. The patch on top is loads darker, and feels like rex fur, very short and velvety.

Is this even possible? :?

I would imagine its just the new fur coming through. It's not possible to go from one coat type to another because it is depicted by genetics (the rex fur is a recessive gene), but coat types can change within their type, if that makes sense, like a lionhead can have a thicker or thinner mane after a moult and it can change with each moult. Maybe wait and see what the fur looks like when the moult has fully finished.

I would imagine its just the new fur coming through. It's not possible to go from one coat type to another because it is depicted by genetics (the rex fur is a recessive gene), but coat types can change within their type, if that makes sense, like a lionhead can have a thicker or thinner mane after a moult and it can change with each moult. Maybe wait and see what the fur looks like when the moult has fully finished.

Everytime I look at him his patch is bigger and looks more and more rex :lol: I still can't get over it, the feel is so different.

A rex rabbit has short guard hairs so you feel the soft undercoat without the rougher fur on top. When the fur regrows you get a similar effect, but the guard hairs will grow through and the coat will go back to normal.

A rex rabbit has short guard hairs so you feel the soft undercoat without the rougher fur on top. When the fur regrows you get a similar effect, but the guard hairs will grow through and the coat will go back to normal.

Never thought about that, all my others have still been quite rough coated in moult.

I'll miss you rexy coat :(

I had exactly the same with Smudge this year - and ....... have kept some of his moulted fur in a tiny poly bag - like you do the clippings of your child's first haircut. :oops::lol:

I had exactly the same with Smudge this year - and ....... have kept some of his moulted fur in a tiny poly bag - like you do the clippings of your child's first haircut. :oops::lol:

Me too :lol: I have bits of fur from every single rabbit I've ever owned, it's like my own memorial :)

Most of it is from Flash though :roll: You could knit a jumper from what he loses in a day

Back