• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance?

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi,

Can anyone recommend different companies that do rabbit insurance please?

We have had a quote from Petplan but it is a bit more than we were hoping to pay.

We are considering setting up a savings fund instead of insurance, unless anyone can recommend cheaper (but still comprehensive) insurance?

Thank you

Helen

The only two companies who do it is exotics direct and petplan, Exotics direct from what I gather is linked to petplan and is twice as expensive!
I cancelled with petplan because they caused me so much flaming hassle! id just save up:wave:

Pet plan have been fine with me, this year paying nearly £1000 of vet bills without quibble. Premium has worked out about £10 a month. Though dread to imagine what it will be next year:shock:

Hopefully you'll never need to use the insurance, but if we hadn't had it it would have made caring for our snuffly bunny even more worrying.

:wave: I'm with Pet Plan.
They are fantastic and we would not have had a holiday this year as all savings went to vet:shock: They paid up really quick and we had a lovely holiday:D
Get buns insured asap. They always seem to be at the vet. More like tiny horses than dogs for illnesses;)
Guessing it is only £9 a month?
Shouldn't think you will find it cheaper else where?

I think quite a few people on here have a special bunny savings account rather than pay for insurance. Saving up money is a good idea - if you can be sure you can put the money aside each month;):p:lol:

I have my two insured and i have claimed once. They paid up really quickly too. It's due for renewal soon, do anyone know if one claim will make a difference to the next year's prenium and how much?

It was £15.85 per month for our two bunnies. Which isnt going to break the bank or cost the earth, but I also thought seeing as it doesnt cover a lot of things (eg dentals, vaccinations) was it worth it, or would we be better saving that money up?

We are hoping to adopt 2 more bunnies in the next month so I am guessing it will be nearer £30 then, but also then the risk of bunnies needing expensive treatment also goes up!

Its a tough one! :?

Three of mine are with petplan :) Never claimed for the rabbits, but they paid up very quick and with no problems with my mums cat earlier this year :) I pay about £20 a month for the three bunnies

You should think about the things they won't cover though. I think they generally don't cover dentals and anything that is pre existing won't be covered, or things that could be linked to a pre existing condition may not be covered. I think it is a good idea to still have some money saved just incase your bun does need something that isn't covered by insurance

I used to just have a savings account, but am spending so much of it on vet bills for my rats that I thought I might as well insure the three buns who have never had health problems and keep the savings for my boy they wouldn't cover for anything and the rats :)

we used to have insurance with PetPlan - then we stopped as by the time we had 7 buns it all seemed a bit much monthly - and we thought we would save something each month instead.

Time went by and to be honest I guess it was the r'ight' decision for a couple of years on balance BUT then (having ended up with 16 buns:shock:) we had a year when we had three MAJOR illnesses/problems - which all together probably came to about £5,000 - plus some other stuff which we could have claimed for. So then I bit the bullet and went back on PetPlan.

And I am SO glad I did!!! As since then we have had a couple of other big outgoings including needing emergency vet trips etc.

The trouble is that because we took a 'break' in the insurance three of ours could not re-start an insurance plan as they are too old to start now - if we had kept up the cover we could have just had them insured for life. So now I regret having that break.

We pay £136 a month for 14 buns (one if the older ones passed away peacefully at age 11 so now only 2 uninsured.). I asked Exotic Insurance only yesterday how much they would charge and it was only £15 cheaper and they pay out less per year.

we used to have insurance with PetPlan - then we stopped as by the time we had 7 buns it all seemed a bit much monthly - and we thought we would save something each month instead.

Time went by and to be honest I guess it was the r'ight' decision for a couple of years on balance BUT then (having ended up with 16 buns:shock:) we had a year when we had three MAJOR illnesses/problems - which all together probably came to about £5,000 - plus some other stuff which we could have claimed for. So then I bit the bullet and went back on PetPlan.

And I am SO glad I did!!! As since then we have had a couple of other big outgoings including needing emergency vet trips etc.

The trouble is that because we took a 'break' in the insurance three of ours could not re-start an insurance plan as they are too old to start now - if we had kept up the cover we could have just had them insured for life. So now I regret having that break.

We pay £136 a month for 14 buns (one if the older ones passed away peacefully at age 11 so now only 2 uninsured.). I asked Exotic Insurance only yesterday how much they would charge and it was only £15 cheaper and they pay out less per year.

Thank you, that gives me perspective on both sides of the coin. Is there a cut off-age then for when you can have rabbits insured ie would Petplan not be willing to insure very old rabbits? Because I would be more likely to want it for their old-age but then if no-one would insure them then maybe its worth doing it now.

Wow £5000 in vet bills - thats got to hurt... (I can just imagine my friends and families attitudes towards that piece of information - I am not going there).

Lots of food for thought. Maybe its better to have both then (small savings for vacc and dentals that may not be covered) and insurance for times I dont want to think about.

Thanks everyone.

Cut off age for STARTING insurance is usually 5 (I keep telling them that thats young for buns - but they don't listen).

But if you start before the age of 5 then you just keep going for life.

It really if worth it. The £5,000 was definitely an underestimate. And just this last month Viola Rose has probably cost about £700 for her having caught myxi if you include the 3 emergency vet visits, the endless normal vet visits and all the drugs etc. and now they are suggesting injectible penicilin to finish clearing up the puss so that even more.

Cut off age for STARTING insurance is usually 5 (I keep telling them that thats young for buns - but they don't listen).

But if you start before the age of 5 then you just keep going for life.

It really if worth it. The £5,000 was definitely an underestimate. And just this last month Viola Rose has probably cost about £700 for her having caught myxi if you include the 3 emergency vet visits, the endless normal vet visits and all the drugs etc. and now they are suggesting injectible penicilin to finish clearing up the puss so that even more.

Gosh :shock:
Yes it really is worth serious consideration isnt it. I will talk to the OH about it. Unbearable to think what can go wrong.

I got a form for health care from my vet. It is with a company called My Vet Group Pet Health Club.
The Standard plan costs £14.85 a month and for this you get Free drugs,operations and hospitalisation necessary for any illness or accident. 1 years flea treatments. 1 years worm treatments and vaccination boosters with health check. Rabbit also receive annual Rearguard. Initial fee of £40 is applied to all incidents of illnesses or accidents
There are cheaper plans if you so wish.
I have just registered my cat after having been with Pet Plan for 7 years, and am also going to register Nala now also.
Has anyone heard of this group. Thanks

Back