• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbies list of questions!

aimee_es

Young Bun
My buns are 9 weeks old, just picked them up today, and they are my first rabbits, so although i have done a lot of research before getting them, there is a lot of conflicting information out there, so i thought best to ask you guys.

1/ Which food would you reccommend? They were being fed on "russel rabbit junior food", which is muesli type mix which i have bought but would people suggest i change (gradually) to pellet food?

2/ What fresh food should i give them? Are they old enough to be having fresh veg, and fruits?

3/When should i think about litter training them?

Erm... can't think of anymore, but trust me there will be! Hope you don't mind

From Aimee, :love: Minnie and Poppy :love:xx

best food is apellettyipeone like since selctive alan and page

i would let them settle in for a cupple of days the change them over a 2 week peroid start with a teaspoon of ne food for 2 days then 2 ect

Hiya :wave:

Pellet food is much better than mix yes. There is a big variety of brands, i personally use Science Selective, but i think Burgess Excel is easier to come by from most pet shops. Change very gradually, over the course of about a week, gradually giving more pellets and less mix until they are on a full pellet diet.

I would wait until they were 12 weeks before giving any fresh food. Then start adding it tiny amounts at a time. Get them used to one before trying something new and gradually build it up.

Remember hay should be availible at all times, it is the most important part of the diet. Also fresh drinking water should also always be availible.

Rabbits are generally clean, so the chances are they will pick a corner to wee in. Once they have done (they may choose two or three corners to start with), put a tray there with some dirty bedding. They will start to prefer one over the others, then you can start taking the unused trays away. Bunnies tend to drop poop as they hop about, so expect a stray purlie hear and there.

You will need to get your buns vaccinated against myxomitosis. This vaccination should be repeated every 6 months. Then 2 weeks after the myxi vacc you should get them vaccinated against VHD (Viral haemorhagic disease). This should be done yearly.

It is highly adviseable to get your girls spayed when they are 5 months or over. This will help ensure they continue to get on. It will also help prevent them getting hormonal and stroppy. And most importantly it hugely reduces the risk or reproductive cancers.

Thanks guys,

I've got the girlies booked in with the vet on tuesday, for a general check up, then gonna book for their jabs.

They're still very quiet in their cage, which is natural, so i'm fighting the urge to keep getting them out for cuddles, is this best?

xx

If theyve just arrived, they'll odviously be feeling very scared so yes its a good idea to leave them be then introduce yourself :D
I find pellets leave my rabbits looking in top condition and now when museli as a treat theyll turn there nose up at it! I use Science Selective, but sometimes I struggle to get hold of this if i run out so i have to plan in advance, as mentioned excel is much easier to come across!

Back