• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly guard and spiders

Mole

Young Bun
ok i was cleaning my shed to day...where the rabbits live i clean areas evry day but today i cleaned the whole shed and i removed the bottom layer of hay and shavings and to my horror i found aout 50 small sized spiders all the same..also some flys are coming in shall a use fly gauard (in winter months???) plz help

ok i was cleaning my shed to day...where the rabbits live i clean areas evry day but today i cleaned the whole shed and i removed the bottom layer of hay and shavings and to my horror i found aout 50 small sized spiders all the same..also some flys are coming in shall a use fly gauard (in winter months???) plz help

Spiders as far as I know shouldn't cause any problems. They will hopefully eat up and catch any flies and other spider-edible creepy-crawlies! :D Not that i'm a spider fan! :mrgreen:

It's been rather warm again and there seem to be more flies again as if it were summer - I expect that some more have just hatched today that is all. Hopefully over winter you shouldn't have too many flies, if at all - fingers crossed. I personally don't use fly guard, but some people find it helpful for buns 'at risk'. This means buns unable to keep themselves clean for medical reasons. Your best bet is to make sure your buns have plenty of fibre (HAY) in their diet, not too much concentrate feed - so no excess caectrophs lying around and no messy bums. Change litter trays/latrine corners daily and check your buns over every day - especially their bottom area for messy bottoms and flystrike. But hopefully with a good diet and clean cages there will be nothing to attract the flies in and being winter they will hopefully die out too. :)

Spiders breed in my garden too. Every now and then you see a whole batch of them appear at once. It would be quite scary if they were in the house.

If you have quite a lot of flies about then yes you might use flyguard. The spiders shouldn't cause much of a problem, but I think I would shoo them away just because I hate spiders.

Back