• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your Experience with Thrianta and Tri-Dutch?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Hi
I'm still stuck between Thriantas and Tri-Dutch :roll::lol:

Just wanted to know, which in your opinion are more active?

Any other info would be appreciated too :)

And pictures :lol: :)

Thanks

i had a thrianta and he was fantastic, i wouldnt say he was that active though as he never jumped over anything higher than his knees :lol:

i had a thrianta and he was fantastic, i wouldnt say he was that active though as he never jumped over anything higher than his knees :lol:

I stewarded the Thriantas at London Champs Show, they wouldn't sit still, and one decided to spray all down my show coat.

I watched the Tri-Dutch too, they looked very active :lol:

mine was probably just a lazy boy, but he was kept in a small guinea pig cage for the first few months though :(

Somehow I doubt the Thriantas and Tri-Dutch at the show were in enourmous cages though. Plus most show rabbits are handled from birth :? :lol:

I've never had a Thriantra (and not likely too either) but have had 3 tri-dutches and like all dutches they are absolutely the epitome of mischief. Great little characters, very inquisitive, generally pretty outgoing with people and not massively destructive. 2 of mine litter trained really well, 1 never got the hang of it and 1 was quite aggressive when I first got him but that was completely related to his previous home. He was an absolute doll by the time he left for RB.

The only thing I have to say is that of my three, one was with me for just 8 weeks, one for 6 weeks and the other for about a year and a half. Two had quite extensive medical problems and the other died very suddenly one afternoon. None of them were older than 2.5 years but they were all from rescue backgrounds (2 ex-breeding stock) and did have a history of neglect.

Oh, and pictures:

Caspian was with me for 8 weeks and had serious GI problems:
11-09-07_1427.jpg

Cassius died suddenly one afternoon 6 weeks after I got him, heart was suspected:
moto_0084.jpg

Mack was adopted from Honeybunnies and had dental problems which led to him developing mandibular abcesses and osteomyelitis. He was with me for over a year but 7 months were spent back and forth from the vets for various tests & treatments with a series of operations required:
moto_0288.jpg

I've never had a Thriantra (and not likely too either) but have had 3 tri-dutches and like all dutches they are absolutely the epitome of mischief. Great little characters, very inquisitive, generally pretty outgoing with people and not massively destructive. 2 of mine litter trained really well, 1 never got the hang of it and 1 was quite aggressive when I first got him but that was completely related to his previous home. He was an absolute doll by the time he left for RB.

The only thing I have to say is that of my three, one was with me for just 8 weeks, one for 6 weeks and the other for about a year and a half. Two had quite extensive medical problems and the other died very suddenly one afternoon. None of them were older than 2.5 years but they were all from rescue backgrounds (2 ex-breeding stock) and did have a history of neglect.

Do you know where the breeding stock came from, or anything more?
I want to stay away from such breeders.

Do you know where the breeding stock came from, or anything more?
I want to stay away from such breeders.

One was a BYB in Yorkshire but I forget where, she was an idiot though, thought Caspian was a 'cross-breed' :roll: and the other was from Essex way and again, not very professional, apparently he didn't want to 'do the deed' with any of the other rabbits. That's my boy! :lol:

One was a BYB in Yorkshire but I forget where, she was an idiot though, thought Caspian was a 'cross-breed' :roll: and the other was from Essex way and again, not very professional, apparently he didn't want to 'do the deed' with any of the other rabbits. That's my boy! :lol:

Oh, so none were BRC breeders?

Many forum members have tri-dutch, and I'm sure a lot were obtained through rescues. I wonder if there is something about them that owners can't handle, causing them to be in the rescue in the first place ? :?

ruby is a thrianta and she is naughty, very mischevious but very friendly. Since her spay she has got extra cuddly and soppy. Doesn't sit still on your knee though and not really much of a jumper.

My two tri-coloured Dutches are delightful. Twinkle has a lot of energy, very inquisitive and playful. She likes her toys and is very exciteable. She gives lots of licks. Star is a lot more reserved, placid and calm but still has an inquisitive nature. Neither like being picked up but that is more due to their upbringing I think before they were rehomed to me.

There is nothing about my rabbits that is hard to handle (except for the picking up - but with time may get better - I've only had them 2 months).

Helen

Back