• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wide wake dentals....

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
just remembered this now Crystal had a dental a week and a half ago i spoke to the vet about dentals done whle the bun was awake and teh vet said that although its taking the risk of teh anesthetic away it can cause the rabbit to panic and stress which can do more harm then aneasthetic because apparently the rabbit is hypnitised and placed in a paralysed state is this true? if it then i agree with my vet being worse then aneasthetic could you imagine how stressed and paniced a bun would feel not being able to move and having things poked in their mouth? i dont quite understand it?

the one thing my vet did lie about was rabbits are less likely to cope with aneasthetic over the age of 5 :roll:

:wave: my vet has found a way round both...she only gives bif a little whiff of gas to make her stoned i guess.....and she managed to do a deep dental like she would have been able to with a full GA.

they did do conscious dentals but now the practice has been told no more as they are too stressful for most rabbits and cannot be relied on to get every spur.
bif was fine with the conscious dentals that mark had given her each time but had a bad time after one with ellen so they gave her a full GA one not htat long ago....and shes 5 now. this time she had the benfit of not a full ga but also being out of it enough to have her furthest back spurs burred without being held down etc.

she was waiting for me to pick her up and scoffed some pelllets int he back of the carrier and demolished a huge pile of hay on returning home but was a wee bit wobbly jumping in and out of the underbed box her and bertie share as a litter tray. she was pooping fine by 10pm that night and we gave ehr fibreplex to make sure.

i am overjoyed they can do it this way now....theyve figured it out at last!!

ga dentals are so frequent in some buns it means they have kidney probs etc due to the ga build up in their system. but this is halfway measure and great in my book and bifs!!

mention it to the vets:wave:

Back