• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you put guinea pigs in run in all weathers?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
My thoughts are turning to winter and what to do with the piggies. I know they aren't meant to get too cold/damp and last year I left them in their hutch in bad weather. The rest of the time I tried their run on the patio as I figured it wouldn't be as wet as grass, and put a layer of hay down in the run. However they hated it! Honestly they just huddled in their pigloo and would have rather been left in their hutch.

If I left their run on grass but added a decent shelter such as a small hutch, and covered the run with tarp or something, could they go out in this on cold/wet days or not? Again I suspect they will just stay huddled in the shelter but what else can i do to get them some exercise?

I dont have guinea pigs... so im not much use really :? My mum has guinea pigs and in cold weather all they do is sit in the pigloo :roll: When its colder, mum doesnt leave them out as long :) If the grass is wet, she doesnt put them out at all :?

Bumping this up for you anyway :D xxxx

No room in the house for them so coming in is not an option. When I move I'll def look for a garage so I can put a pen up in there in winter!

My 2 pairs have moved into the garage with a pen set up each so that they have a space if about 7ft x 5ft each with their hutches inside.

Yes, mine are in their run all year round but I'm about to change this as I am constantly worried about them.
As their runs are attatched they used to just stare at meand wait by the doors all day to come out.
This is why we're moving them into a shed, with all different levels so they have ubes loads of room and then let them out into a large run in summer :)

My three are outside all year round and have never been brought inside. Rosie was in the shed for the last winter of her life because she wasn't so able to keep herself warm but she was 7 :love:

Mine go out in all weather, my two girls are free range in the garden whatever the weather, obviously if its absolutely pouring then they can stay in.

My boy lives with his bunny friend at the moment and is out all the time

My three live in a playhouse with an attached run.In the Winter i put the radiator on in the playhouse for them and cover the run with perspex:D

My piggies are housed outside all year round the only time I don't put them on the grass is in the snow.
Although if I know there's a frost due overnight I do cover the runs so the grass doesn't freeze otherwise i don't bother.

They've all been fine with this arrangement for the last 11 years.

I actually find sheds colder than hutches outside unless they are fitted with heaters.

That supplier is really good. He made mine to measure as I've an awkward shaped hutch. Best money I've ever spent.

Back