• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oscar has wee on feet

Bellikinz

Warren Scout
This is the 2nd time I've felt and smelled wee on his feet this week. I'm not certain but I remember hearing that this was a symptom of some bad illness. He's going in on Mon. to get neutered so if you guys could give me some clues I could maybe ask the vet to check him out? I'm worried, but maybe it's just because his cage needs cleaning and he stepped in his dirty litter? Please help.

Anna

Hi I'm sorry I dont know the answer to this. I just wanted to say that its good he is seeing the vet on Monday though as he can be checked at the same time for any urine/bladder problems.

I hope some of the other forum members are able to shed more light, sorry I cant. But I hope it is nothing to worry about for both of you.

How old is he? Just crossed my mind whether its possible he was born with wonky bits and cant aim straight?

Rightio, just checking my RabbitLopaedia

Under "sludgy bladder" it says:

The production of urine is so full of crystals that it is thick and cloudy in its appearance.

Signs: The rabbit produces thick creamy urine. Can look like toothpaste. Rabbit may drink more and become depressed and anorexic. The perineal area and hind legs may become soiled with urine.

Does this sound right? I can tell you what it says about cause and treatment, though it seems to suggest gradual dietary changes.

I would see what other members say or the vet...

Also the Lopaedia says urine scalding of the hind legs and abdomen may be due to kidney failure...other symptoms are:

The rabbit drinks excessivey and subsequently urinates more. The rabbit becomes lethargic, depressed and anorexic. Rabbits with chronic renal failure lose weight and lose muscle bulk.

Treatment is plenty of fluids. May need steroids by a vet.

I dont want to scare you - just trying to let you know the different things the book says.
I really dont have experience to be able to offer any advice, sorry I hope someone on here can.

Please feel free to PM me if you want any more info from the book.

Maybe keep an eye on it and see if your rabbit is still having problems tomorrow - is your vets open on a Saturday for advice?

Helen

No, he's definitely not weeing anything sludgy or thick. Just normal clear, urine. That's it! Kidney failure is what I was thinking, but he appears to be eating/drinking normal. I'm still trying to bond with him (hoped neuter might calm him a little) so I'm not certain about his mood. Seems fairly normal. He doesn't appear to be in any pain, was fine when I picked him up. I think I'll just get my mum to ask the vet to check him out in that area. Thanks for the help! :)

Sorry I have no experience to draw on.

Under Urine Scalding it says this:

Signs: underneath of rabbit and inside hind legs become damp and sore. Strong smell of urine, fur can become soiled and matted.

Cause: Many factors. Most likely are disorders of urinary tract such as cystitis, bladder stones and sludgy bladder. Kidney failure can also lead to soiling. Mobility disorders (eg arthritis, sore hocks) can make urinating difficult. True incontinence is rare - may be associated with E Cuniculi (a parasite) or spinal trauma .

Treatment: the soiled area should be bathed gently with warm solution of an antibacterial shampoo (eg Chlorhexidine). Skin can be protected from more soiling using a water-resistant barrier cream like zinc or castor oil.

I hope you can get some advice tomorrow. I hope I havent scared you...

Helen

If it's the bottom of his feet, I would blaim him stepping in puddles. Inside of his backlegs, health issues. Top of feet/outside of legs spraying. General pong from tail end with no visible signs, stinky boy scent glands/hormonal smell.

Reading your post Tamsin, I think he's just stepped in some dirty litter. Thank goodness! I was beginning to get worried. I'll keep an eye out still and if it continues before Mon. I'll tell the vet. Thank you! :D

:D What litter do you use? Paper or wood based non clumping cat litter is great, much more absorbent than wood shavings.

I live out in the country and our small town doesn't have any cat litter other than the clay stuff. Shavings is the only thing that I really can use unless we drive six hours or ship it, but that isn't really practical for us. I use a layer of shavings then a layer of hay on top.

No the benefits don't really outweigh the extra hassle. You could try adding a couple of sheets of newspaper under the shavings (some rabbits dig it out though) otherwise it sounds like what you're doing is the most practical :)

Back