• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A teddy for bun?

aimee_es

Young Bun
Hi all,:wave:

I just read on another website that its a good idea to put a small teddy in with a lone bunny, something for him to cuddle up with. Is this true?

I'm getting my first bun this weekend, and want to do everything i can to make him happy! It sounds adorable that he should have his own little cuddly toy, but isnt there a danger that he could nibble it and choke on the material and stuffing?

I thought you guys would be the best to ask!

Take care

Aimee xx

Yup, you have to be careful as a plastic eye on a teddy could choke a rabbit. I don't think, from experience that a rabbit would really see it as a companion as it doesn't smell alive, but they might play with it as rabbits love toys. If you do want to get your bunny a teddy then you can buy dog toys which are safer, but bunnies love to chuck an old towel around, rip up and climb inside a cardboard box or roll a jingly ball around just as much.

If he's a lone bunny then you will be his companion so you'll have to give him lots of attention and cuddles and lots of toys to keep him entertained. Have you thought about adopting a pair of bonded rabbits?

You'll love having a rabbit, they're timid at first but with time and attention they have amazing personalities, just like a dog or a cat. For example, my rabbit paws at my legs for treats any time I'm in the kitchen. They're so fun to have around. :)

Thanks for the reply Jenova,

To be honest, i don't want a 2 rabbits, i know that probably makes me sound incredibly selfish, and honestly i'm not!

We're all very excited about getting bun. and i am fully confident that he will get all the attention and companionship that he needs. This isnt a decision that we've entered into lightly, honestly, i've spent a lot of time researching into them (though i'll still be on here asking lots of silly questions, cause its always best to hear it 1st hand from real bunny mummys!)

Thanks for the advice of a dog toy, i'll be off later to get one!

Take care

Aimee xx

Thanks for the reply Jenova,

To be honest, i don't want a 2 rabbits, i know that probably makes me sound incredibly selfish, and honestly i'm not!

We're all very excited about getting bun. and i am fully confident that he will get all the attention and companionship that he needs. This isnt a decision that we've entered into lightly, honestly, i've spent a lot of time researching into them (though i'll still be on here asking lots of silly questions, cause its always best to hear it 1st hand from real bunny mummys!)

Thanks for the advice of a dog toy, i'll be off later to get one!

Take care

Aimee xx

Rabbits are so much happier in pairs, and it's lovely to watch them together.
If you go with two or not, you really need to get your rabbit neutered or spayed and vaccinated.

I have a single house bun, tho we r looking for a wifey, and I feel so sad for Beau when I see other buns in pairs looking happy together. I really do think they feel better in pairs. Beau is perfectly happy, but he could be happier...

I'm having him as an house rabbit, so i really thought he would be fine? Am i really wrong?

Even as a house rabbit, you can't be entertaining him 24/7

I love watching animals of the same kind together, it seems more natural. If I were you, I'd get a neutered male and a spayed female.

Having had Daisy as a single housebun, and after a few months finding her a bunny friend in Jester, I can honestly say that a bunny pair is so much better than a singleton :D Daisy was given huge amounts of time and attention from me when she was on her own (I worked from home so was always here) but IMO it's no substitute for the companionship of another bunny.

There are quite a few threads in stories and photos showing happily paired up bunnies. Have a look at this one: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=168378&highlight=buns

Ah well,

You lot give a good argument, i have just picked up my TWO new buns!!:D:D:D will post pics later.

Thanks for your advice, and i apologise in advance for all my future questions!!

Aimee xx

Ah well,

You lot give a good argument, i have just picked up my TWO new buns!!:D:D:D will post pics later.

Thanks for your advice, and i apologise in advance for all my future questions!!

Aimee xx

Aww, where did you get them from?

They're dwarf x lionhead x minilop (apparently). They are sisters, so i'm not sure if i'm going to have any problems. I was told that they get on really well, and just didnt have the heart to seperate them, as there were only two left.

We've named them Minnie and Poppy, though at the moment we dont know which is which!

I have put them in their cage at the moment, though this is only temporary thing, to let them get used to being in a new environment. One is coming out and having a nosey around whilst the other one is staying in the house. The one thats out and about is making a strange noise, a cross between grinding her teeth, and a squeak type noise.

They both seem perfectly relaxed when being handled, which is great, but when i put them down they make that noise, is it just nerves?

x

They're dwarf x lionhead x minilop (apparently). They are sisters, so i'm not sure if i'm going to have any problems. I was told that they get on really well, and just didnt have the heart to seperate them, as there were only two left.

We've named them Minnie and Poppy, though at the moment we dont know which is which!

I have put them in their cage at the moment, though this is only temporary thing, to let them get used to being in a new environment. One is coming out and having a nosey around whilst the other one is staying in the house. The one thats out and about is making a strange noise, a cross between grinding her teeth, and a squeak type noise.

They both seem perfectly relaxed when being handled, which is great, but when i put them down they make that noise, is it just nerves?

x

Don't let them fool you, the sisters will be fine together when young, but are extremely likely to start fighting once they start to mature. The only way you can stop this is by spaying them both. If you ring your vet they will probably be able to do it for you.

Spaying also stops many aggression problems, and the risk of a certain cancer.

Yeah, i'm planning on getting them both spayed, but they are only 9 weeks old at the moment, is it right i have to wait till between 4-6 months, depending on my vet?

Also, what age should i get their mixi jabs?:?

Yeah, i'm planning on getting them both spayed, but they are only 9 weeks old at the moment, is it right i have to wait till between 4-6 months, depending on my vet?

Also, what age should i get their mixi jabs?:?

I'm pretty sure they can have their jabs now. Don't forget that they will need vhd too.

Congrats on your new buns.

Hehe, I can tell you'll be a good owner because you came home with two. :D

They can have veg but introduce it slowly and one type at a time so that you can see if it has any bad effects such as runny poo.

You need to upload them to photobucket

Then you get a link code (click on the photo.... then 'share' - 'get link code' and copy the link code that starts and ends with IMG and paste it in the text box on here :D

Back