• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet nose?

panbunny

New Kit
Over the last couple of days or so I've noticed one of our buns Pancake has a slightly wet nose. I doubt this is from drinking as there's a gap between the wet patch and her mouth.

There's no sticky residue, she's not wiping it off and she's not sneezing so I'm not sure what this could be? I've uploaded a pic with the wet patch circled (it doesn't all get wet it's just the bit in the middle and on the sides a bit). She's 5 and a half months old.

Should I be worried?

TIA! :love:

Forgot to add - she's been jabbed against both myxi and VHD.
Edited with a better pic. I gently dabbed her nose with a cotton pad, nothing came off but the wetness spread a bit.

dsc00734ct.jpg

Last edited:
Teddy gets that when he's hot/been running madly about/thirsty. Not sure if there's something wrong, but he doesn't seem to be in pain/heavy breathing so I hope it's ok.

Will be looking forwards to peoples responses!

What a cute little nose!

Hi there. That is a brilliant picture of a beautiful bunny.
Do you think the wet is coming from the left nostril?
Just that a discharge from 1 side of the nose, sometimes means a small piece of hay/grass seed, has got stuck up there & needs removal.

One of my buns suffers with rhinitis and has a wet nose quite a lot. The first time he had it I got him checked by a vet and she advised that it wont cause him any probs just some buns are sensitive to weather changes, or it could even be certain types of pollen setting him off almost like hayfever. I give him enchinea in his water to boost his immune system and it really helps. Of course that is just my experience and a wet nose could also be due to a number of different things so I'd always advise getting a vet look at it just in case.

One of my buns suffers with rhinitis and has a wet nose quite a lot. The first time he had it I got him checked by a vet and she advised that it wont cause him any probs just some buns are sensitive to weather changes, or it could even be certain types of pollen setting him off almost like hayfever. I give him enchinea in his water to boost his immune system and it really helps. Of course that is just my experience and a wet nose could also be due to a number of different things so I'd always advise getting a vet look at it just in case.

Thank you Amy 104 for such a helpful post.
As you so rightly say, a vetinary examination is always of paramount importance.
It is really helpful to hear of the efficacy of Echinacea for allergic rhinitis. What treatment regime do you use?

I buy the liquid formula and add a dropper (I guess that is about 1ml) to his water once a day around the time that he is showing symptoms. Its safe to use longterm but I did read somewhere that if you use it everyday it can reduce its effectiveness.

Thank you :) I was going to ask the same question re. dosage and thumps beat me to it! :D
Do you give it daily or do it in stints and then have a week or two off perhaps? My bun also has what we believe is an allergic rhinitis and I have been considering Echinacea liquid to add to his water too and was shortly going to post a question re. acceptable dosages. For us humans it is usually something like 15 drops in a glass of water 3 times a day so was wondering how much to give a bun and was thinking a few drops once a day - do you really add a whole 1ml? Does it improve things?

Yes but its the largest classic bottle you can buy so it gets pretty diluted, plus he is bonded so I don't know how much he actually takes. I just do stints when needed so as not to compromise its effectiveness. I normally find weather changes are a trigger and sometimes if the pollen count is high. Oddly it seems to be when its warm I notice it more. He used to sneeze also which was why my first though was snuffles but on using the enchinea the sneezing has disappeared so I'm confident it has some effect. You can also buy it in herbal form and mix with food.

Yes but its the largest classic bottle you can buy so it gets pretty diluted, plus he is bonded so I don't know how much he actually takes. I just do stints when needed so as not to compromise its effectiveness. I normally find weather changes are a trigger and sometimes if the pollen count is high. Oddly it seems to be when its warm I notice it more. He used to sneeze also which was why my first though was snuffles but on using the enchinea the sneezing has disappeared so I'm confident it has some effect. You can also buy it in herbal form and mix with food.

Thanks for that :) Yes his wifey bun will also be getting an immune boost! :lol:

Wont do her any harm. My girly seems to of aquired a taste for it so if nothing else she is getting a bit of a treat. :lol:

I have just noticed over the last few days that Jims has a bit of a wet nose, I was starting to get a bit concerned but by reading posts it seems like a common thing and almost always nothing to worry about, the pic was really helpful as it looks just like Jimbys nose!!

Back