• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is eating of faeces called?

I would personally call it caecotrophy, as in eating caecotrophs, to distinguish it from eating normal poo (coprophagy) :)

doesnt refection just mean to[literally] take refreshment? Doesnt actually refer to eating faeces

Some vets DO describe this process as refection.
Taken from Vet Anna Merediths: the Rabbit - University of Edinburgh
"Three to eight hours after eating, and thus mainly at night, soft, mucus-covered caecal pellets are expelled and eaten directly from the anus (a process known as caecotrophy, coprophagy, refection, or pseudorumination). "

I would personally call it caecotrophy, as in eating caecotrophs, to distinguish it from eating normal poo (coprophagy) :)
I'm enjoying this in a very light hearted way. :D
How about "caecotrophagy"! cos they've got to eat it - the phagy bit?

Now how did 4 other posts slip in in 3 mins? so I'm right out of order!

Last edited:
Forgive me but I can't resist this.

On refection over the day, I concede the point in extinct Mediterranean languages to Lilbun. Caecotrophy - trophy to feed on.
I do like the term "refection" though. I imagine that any royal bunnies "refect", whereas us common buns ..... !

Back