• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My english spots

Aww English Spots are one of my fave breed :love:.

I have an english spot called Holly and had a foster self black english called Luna.

If you use the IMG code it will appear in your message like this

IMG_2624.jpg

He's lovely. So lovely in fact, that I've saved the pic in my photobucket album! Hope you don't mind:)

A disaster struck at the weekend, Molly when i checked her Saturday morning, had not eaten nor been in her litter tray and she was hiding at the back of the hutch grinding her teeth.

Took her to the vets Saturday morning, checked her over, and gave me 2 sachets of recovery saying she had gone into stasis.

Managed to feed her the majority of the first packet, as she eat it off the spoon, so i thought things were looking promising, she even eat some grass (not much but had a chew) but constantly trying to hide away.

By the early evening she was it a bad way, hunched up, none responsive, when touched, wobbling. Tried to feed her the second sachet of the recovery, couldnt even open her mouth, it was fixed hard, no general movement, and not long after died.

A real shame as she was shaping up to be the best rabbit ive had, she would let you stroke her, came upto you if you hadn't stroked her nose to make sure you had done so. My son was upset as you can imagine.

Im reading up more on stasis, and from my limited and recent experience of it, it looks very hard to keep your rabbit alive once this has started, would that be the correct statement??

Also can you buy syringes that have a thicker nozzel at the end to let the recovery stuff get through. The vet did warn me i may have to adapt a syringe by cutting off the end and making the hole bigger, but i couldnt get it into her mouth in the evening, not that im saying it would have saved her.

A disaster struck at the weekend, Molly when i checked her Saturday morning, had not eaten nor been in her litter tray and she was hiding at the back of the hutch grinding her teeth.

Took her to the vets Saturday morning, checked her over, and gave me 2 sachets of recovery saying she had gone into stasis.

Managed to feed her the majority of the first packet, as she eat it off the spoon, so i thought things were looking promising, she even eat some grass (not much but had a chew) but constantly trying to hide away.

By the early evening she was it a bad way, hunched up, none responsive, when touched, wobbling. Tried to feed her the second sachet of the recovery, couldnt even open her mouth, it was fixed hard, no general movement, and not long after died.

A real shame as she was shaping up to be the best rabbit ive had, she would let you stroke her, came upto you if you hadn't stroked her nose to make sure you had done so. My son was upset as you can imagine.

Im reading up more on stasis, and from my limited and recent experience of it, it looks very hard to keep your rabbit alive once this has started, would that be the correct statement??

Also can you buy syringes that have a thicker nozzel at the end to let the recovery stuff get through. The vet did warn me i may have to adapt a syringe by cutting off the end and making the hole bigger, but i couldnt get it into her mouth in the evening, not that im saying it would have saved her.

Im really very sorry.How awful for you.and for her.RIP Molly.

Not neccessarily, as long as prompt and appropriate Veterinary treatment is given

What diagnostics and medication did you Vet prescribe ?

Poor Molly :cry:

The medication he prescribed was the sachets of recovery, mixed with 70ml of water and syringed into Molly, as i said early she has always been good for medicines and licks/eats it off a spoon, which she did on the first sachet.

I did let her onto the grass, so she could have a nibble which she did as well. And she ran around a little as well, one thing i did notice as well, i have a small water feature, after i gave her the sachet she went to this and drank quite a bit. Bit she didnt pass any stools at all after eating, i did notice that evening though a lot of liquids under neath her which she was laying in. so i lifted her and placed her onto fresh hay to soak up any waste. I did think at this stage though she was in the final stages of life, you can tell cant you.

The medication he prescribed was the sachets of recovery, mixed with 70ml of water and syringed into Molly, as i said early she has always been good for medicines and licks/eats it off a spoon, which she did on the first sachet.

I did let her onto the grass, so she could have a nibble which she did as well. And she ran around a little as well, one thing i did notice as well, i have a small water feature, after i gave her the sachet she went to this and drank quite a bit. Bit she didnt pass any stools at all after eating, i did notice that evening though a lot of liquids under neath her which she was laying in. so i lifted her and placed her onto fresh hay to soak up any waste. I did think at this stage though she was in the final stages of life, you can tell cant you.

:shock:

So no pain relief, no gut motility meds, no abdominal Xray to rule out GI obstruction ......... :?

:shock:

Back