• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Remembering Lord Lopsley 25th Sept 2006- and How I Discovered my Velveteens

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Alot of people have asked me how I came to find Morse, Sir Victor, Lady Lydia and Colonel Colin. Well it all started with a Freead I am affraid. Someone on here highlighted an ad' for a 'Rex Lop' who was being refered to as a 'Velveteen Lop'. Being a Rex addict I was curious and so I took a look. It was love at first sight and I decided to buy him. Understandably this went down like a lead balloon with some Rescuers on here and I fully accept why. But I am human and selfish I guess and I wanted this Bunny. I bought him.

He was located in Derbyshire so getting him here (SW London) was going to be difficult. But out of the blue a lovely RUer offered to collect him for me and bring him all the way here :shock: I wont name this person, I'll leave it to them to identify themself if they want to :)

So in May 2006 Lord Lopsley arrived :) He was a stunning Bun and became such a character. He was full of mischief, I once had to rescue him from the roof of my neighbours conservatory :shock: Despite all his antics I loved him dearly :love:

At the beginning of September 2006, when Lops was almost 6 months old, it became apparent that there was something wrong. He started to loose weight despite eating well :? :cry: Tests revealed an abnormality with his Liver Function. Despite treatment I was devastated when Lord Lopsley died on 25th September 2006 :cry: :cry: How could this happen to such a young vibrant Rabbit :cry: :cry:

All we know is that Lops died of Liver failure, but we have no idea WHY ....:cry:

When one of the Breeders involved heard of what happened I was offered Inspector Morse. Not as a replacement for Lord Lopsley of course. Sir Victor and Lady Lydia came from the same person and all three are related to Lord Lopsley.

Colonel Colin was bought by someone with a bit of a history of buying Rabbits only to hand them over to Rescue a few months later. Once Colin became a typical 'Velveteen Vandal' the person who bought him decided he had to go. I was contacted and I agreed to take him when I had the room.
In the meantime Angie65 fostered him for me :love: She even got him neutered too :D I remain very, very grateful to Angie :love: :love:

So there you have it, my admission of having bought from a breeder. I probably would not do so again and now I realise exactly what goes on during the process of 'creating' a new breed I would certainly not want to support it. But do I regret buying Lord Lopsley.......not for one second :love:

Lord Lopsley 1st March 2006- 25th September 2006

lordlopsley.jpg

I don't think you should regret it in any way! You gave them amazing lives and they did the same back.

...I know I'm going to get lynched for saying this, but I have nothing against reputable breeders (Teddy is from one), and I wouldn't hesitate to get his sister/niece from said breeder. After seeing how she cares for her buns I believe she is second to none.:oops:
I am obviously very pro-rescue and can't wait until I can get a pair from one (but until my son is older I can't! OH is adamant that if biting occured then bunny goes [how very wrong he is!])

Never feel guilty about getting Lord Lopsley...he didn't do anything wrong! :D:D

(What a lovely story...wish I had such a way with words!:lol::lol:)

Last edited:
Ah, a very moving story Jane. He was a very handsome bunny and I am sure that he had a wonderful life with you in the time that he had. He probably had longer with you than if someone else had bought him.

It is also very nice that you have some of his "relatives" ........... and you know how Morse always brings a smile to us all on here.

I bought Homer from a farm (only went in for foood) and will never regret it. If someone else had bought him he would be dead now with his teeth and mucky bum :roll: I love him even more for these reasons, we are very close.:love:

What a beautiful guy.

I have bought from breeders and got some of the most awesome buns that way. They are not any less deserving of a good home.

He sounds like a right pickle and I think it's only fair you share exactly how the hell he ended up on a roof. I need a good giggle :D

His legacy lives on with the other buns who came to you due to him. He was super special.

I still struggle to accept that Lops died so young :cry:
That time was like a bad dream really

The story is surprisingly similar to how I came by and lost Izzy, though I was only intending to foster her and wasn't going to allow myself to become attached *in theory*. She was very much a 'heart ruling head' moment for me too.

I can really empathise with the not finding it easy to accept one so young dying like that, though you said Lopsley was showing signs of being ill, Izzy was only ill for about 24 hours, it's just so 'wrong' when every other part of them was made perfectly for one organ to just fail :cry::cry::cry:

Lopsley was beautiful I can really see why he stole your heart :love::love:

I have a theory, some animals are so meant to be part of our family, so however they end up with us, it is meant to be. I have changed my way of doing things in the rescue as I have learnt, however, I truly believe nothing is black or white, and for some special reason you had to be his mum!

He was such a handsome lad, Jane, I would suffer collywobbles if I saw him. And, if he had gone to an ordinary home his health problems may not have been picked up so quickly and he may have suffered.

Alice x

I have a theory, some animals are so meant to be part of our family, so however they end up with us, it is meant to be. I have changed my way of doing things in the rescue as I have learnt, however, I truly believe nothing is black or white, and for some special reason you had to be his mum!

He was such a handsome lad, Jane, I would suffer collywobbles if I saw him. And, if he had gone to an ordinary home his health problems may not have been picked up so quickly and he may have suffered.

Alice x

Thank you Alice :)

He really was a lovely Bun and I treasure those 6 months I had with him :love:

Just had a bit of a cry :cry:
Its not right that he died so young :cry:

His breeder sent me this piccie of Lops aged about 2 weeks :love:

Lopsa2weeks.jpg

And here are a few more pics

Picture917-2.jpg

Picture867-2.jpg

MiscPics121-1.jpg

Aw Jane, he was beautiful, and look at what he brought you, as well as himself. I know today is hard, but crying is good.

I'm sure he is binkying free and causing great chaos (if that's what you believe in).

Back