• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking and weird tummy noises...

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I just need to ask someting for my own peace of mind:

When Grimlock drinks from a bowl his stomach makes weird burpy, farty, gassy noises; is this something I should be worried about?

They're really loud and he only has them when he drinks water from a bowl (not a bottle). My friend and her mum came over today and looked shocked when I told them the noises were coming from him and it actually got me thinking. :?

I had a bunny from honeybunny called Gilbert and he used to make a gurgly noise when drinking from a bowl, it wasn't his tummy it was him swallowing, he used to fill his mouth then tip his head back, bless him. Does that sound similar?

I know his diet is awful so he's probably more gassy than a healthy bunny, but as it hasn't caused him any noticeable problems in the two and a half years he's been with me do you think it's okay to just monitor it and not worry too much?

Aww bless, my bunnies make a slurpy almost squeeky gurgly noise - they drink from a bowl too - they seem to slurp rather than lap :love::love:

No don't worry - this is completely normal in some buns! I hope! :lol: When Nino drinks he shoves his face in his bowl of water and just sucks it up like a giant straw - and his tummy starts squeaking and popping and gurgling - it's hilarious and we have to try not to laugh! :lol: It's so funny and cute :D
When Poppy drinks it is much more ladylike and she laps at the water like a cat :D She drinks slower so no tummy noises. However, before she drinks she does a quick 'chink chink' by biting the side of the bowl - to test it I suppose - it's so funny. We can't see the water bowl when we are sat down but the second we hear the ceramic bowl on her teeth go 'chink' we know she's having a drink! :love:

Back