• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnant guinea pig question

Furries

Warren Scout
Hope you don't mind me asking this question in a rabbit forum?

We recently acquired 2 female guinea-pigs from a friend which are about 5-months-old. When she bought them from a petshop last June, one of the females was already pregnant and gave birth to 3 boars, which she has kept. She was told (by a veterinary nurse who rescues guinea-pigs), not to separate the babies from the mother until they were 6-weeks-old, because they needed to be with the mother as long as possible and they wouldn't be big enough to mount the females and get them pregnant.

However, she separated them at 4.5-weeks-old (about 3-weeks ago), because we told her the boys could get the mother and the other female pregnant from around 3-4 weeks, so she should really separate them at 3-weeks. However, because she left it until 4.5-weeks, what are the chances that either the mother or the other female are pregnant? The two females are virtually adult-sized, so would they be too big for the babies to mount? One of the baby boars started trying to mount the females from around 3-weeks.

Thanks.

Hi,

from what I have read there is a possibility that the females could be pregnant if the male baby boar has mounted the females when he was older than 3 weeks, it's good that they have been seperated now though. I'm not an expert but you could try and get more info on The Guinea Pig Forum.

A friend of mine got a guinea pig pregnant from her 5-week old son...so I'd rather separate them by the time they start humping to be on the safe side, perhaps keep the cages close so they can still be in touch.

A boar can get a sow pregnant from 3 weeks. Male guineas should be taken out by that time, even if there is no humping because you cannot always be around to check.

Do hope they aren't pregnant. :)

There is a good chance that the older females are pregnant. Thre is a slim chance that the yougn females who were 4.5 weeks old are pregnant as they would have been at the lower age of possibly being able to get pregnant.

I have a friend who was a breeder/exhibitor and one of her baby boars got mum pregnant at 2 1/2 weeks but most take them away at 3 weeks

I think female guinea pigs can be sexually mature from 4-6 weeks of age. Males can be earlier at 3-5 weeks. That said I guess there could be a possibility that both females are pregnant but that would mean both would've had to of been fertile as early as poss which seems very unlucky. I think there is a good change the older female is tho.

Back