• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to look after an absecess help?

Becky:)

Alpha Buck
Hi, i posted yesterday about Billy's abcess all started a week and half ago when he had a small absecess on his foot, vet suggested baytril and then surgery, its been a week, and i have taken him back to the vet todat as abscess has already returned :( I said I had foind from the internet depocillin would be more effective so he is now on injections every two days, the abscess is now open :( looks awful. She gave me iodine to dab on twice a day, is there anything else I can put on it? what about bathing it with salt water? Or Manuka honey, i'm willing to try anything?!?!?

Did you discuss using Manuka Honey with the Vet ?

My only concern is that Billy may ingest alot of it and that might not be good given that he is on Depocillin. That combined with all the sugar in Honey *might* increase the risk of gut dysbiosis.

I am using Manuka Honey on a toe injury on a Bun who is also receiving Depocillin injections. But the wound is permanently dressed so she cant lick all the honey off.

Is Billy receiving any analgesia ?

'Is Billy receiving any analgesia'

Does that mean pain relief? If so no, I did ask but the vet said as its an abscess its not painful, although it lookd awful to me:( where they shaved his foot to do surgery is looking really sore too :( She didn't mention the manuka honey I just read about it somewhere and thought it might help, she didn't mention the penecillin could affect his guts?? Is it best to leave it not dressed or banadaged or anything? Originally it was about teh size of a pea on the very edge of his foot but now after the surgery and bodge job by the vet its open and bigger and on the bottom too :(

'Is Billy receiving any analgesia'

Does that mean pain relief? If so no, I did ask but the vet said as its an abscess its not painful, although it lookd awful to me:( where they shaved his foot to do surgery is looking really sore too :( She didn't mention the manuka honey I just read about it somewhere and thought it might help, she didn't mention the penecillin could affect his guts?? Is it best to leave it not dressed or banadaged or anything? Originally it was about teh size of a pea on the very edge of his foot but now after the surgery and bodge job by the vet its open and bigger and on the bottom too :(

AN open abscess on his foot and its not painful............. *sighs*...:roll:
I despair of some Vets...............

Generally its better not to dress abscesses. I really think you may need to consider finding a Vet more familiar with treating Rabbits. Pain relief really is essential, pain effects a Rabbit's gut motility. I somehow doubt the Vet would avoid taking a couple of paracetamol or Ibuprofen if he/she had an open abscess on his/her foot !!

Depocillin is considered to be a higher risk abx for having the *potential* for causing gut dysbiosis. But I have had numerous Buns on it, some for months at a time and only one became ill with enteritis. Giving a probiotic such as Fibreplex would be a good idea aswell as insuring Billy eats lots of hay. I'd also avoid feeding him fruit, carrots or sugary treats whilst he is on Depocillin.

Last edited:
Back