• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Q's

Flutterby81

Young Bun
Hi Everyone- New to the Forum!:wave:

Looking to adopt a couple of rabbits, we have a large well ventilated shed- 8ft by 6ft the front is partly mesh and solid wood. It has a concrete base and i was going to cover it in shavings and attach hay racks inside, with some rabbit tunnel toys and a 4ft hutch so they have somewhere to sleep. The would have access to an outdoor run, put on the grass, either everyday(weather depending) and weekends defenately.-Is this ok?

Have had rabbits before many years ago when i live at home and have found a rabbit friendly vet-which seems to be rare, found this a bit odd?!

Have had a look on here for bunnies and for some reason it won't let me see all the pictures? Stupid me or computer!
Have also used the search tool and had a look, all the bonded bunnies that i really like are miles away- i am in North Wales near Mold, can a bun-run be organised for this or is it only for picking up rabbits in urgent need of rescuing? And could anyone do the home check, i am more than happy for people to come round and check our potential home over a coffee!

Its only me and my husband and our 2 indoor cats. I am going part time in the next couple of months so would only be gone for 5hours a day-is this ok or too long? If we ever go on holiday i would find a fantastic boarding home for them.

We are looking for 2 or more neutered/v/c buns, really like black lops, don't mind if they aren't really friendly as i am quiet happy to sit in with them, drink a cup of tea and just watch until they feel they want to say hello. :D

Really sorry for the long post, just very enthusiastic, excited (and sad!)

Thanks x

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :wave:

Personally I think the shed sounds lovely. I wouldn't use woodshavings though as they can pose a health problem. Lino on the floor and some nice large litter trays would be good. Bare in mind that they can get very hot in summer though and make provision for insulating it against the sun. I am sure bunny runs and homechecks can be arranged. Just look for the buns that take your fancy, approach the rescue in question and everything will pan out from there!

Don't know why you can't see photo's maybe someone techi can help there.

Good luck!

Aww its really nice to hear from someone who is so organised and excited :D.

I hope you get the perfect pair of buns soon :)

Thank you both!!

It gets the sun in the morning, is sheltered from the wind and gets the afternoon shade.
Was going to get those ice rings from P&H for the summer, you fill them with water i think or whatever is already in them and pop them in the freezer.

Also going to get O/H to build a pull down cover the go across the mesh for when it rains and at night.

Would they eat the lino?

Good luck finding your buns! Teddy said that he thinks black lops are pawsome too!...hopsecially BEEG ones!

Mine love their big litter trays. I got mine from Wilkos for about £4-5. They live in it! Also instead of woodshavings I use something called easibed which is an equine bedding. You can get it from farm shops. It is about £7 a bale. Keeps the smell down and doesn't blow away in the wind. I use this for their shed above the lino and in their litter trays.

http://www.easibed.co.uk/easibed_benefits.htm#easibed

Instead of buying those ice pod things you could just get an old bottle fill it up with water and put in the freezer. Wrap it in a towel or something and then place in their shed or run. It is just as effective.

It is nice to see you are getting prepared and finding out all this info before purchasing your bunnies. We are all just as 'sad' here so you're in good company!

003-2.jpg

Good that the shed gets some shade but on hot summer days people with sheds really do find that they heat up very early and very quickly. Take a look in to insulating the roof, some people also use ceiling fans - wires bunnyproofed of course. So long as the lino or floor tiles (many use poundlands sticky down ones) is secured to the floor right up to the edges, so buns cant get to loose ends it should be ok.

Hi welcome, sounds like your well prepared and will be a perfect bunny mum. yeah i would suggest using lino, mine have never touched it and i put lots of hay down for bedding and munching as well. sorry i live in NI so can't really suggest any rescues in England but there are loads of rescues on here that will be able to help you. check out the rabbits in need section and you could even pm one of the moderators and ask them to post a Wanted thread in the rabbits in need section. best of luck. :wave:

You are sooo nice-thank you for all the lovely posts!:love:

Have had a look at that easy bed-with get that! And do the water bottle idea-alot cheaper. Have just found a site called Bunny Bazzar with lots of treats etc!

Can't see those pics i'm afraid-going to my parents house on Sunday so will try to see them on their computer!

Have seen a couple of buns Aries & Gemini and Binky, Roger and Princess. But they are very far down south so it might be mean to make them travel all this way?:( I have to say searching through all those bunnies was so upsetting!

My 2 local rescues have bunnies kept separately as they have said they are easier to rehome as people just want to add to their existing bunny.

Glad to see i am not the only 'sad' one!!:D

Provided the buns at your local rescues are neutered I see no reason why you can't choose two, or get them to choose two who they think would be suited to each other as they know their temeraments, and get them to help bond them for you. If you fell in love with any "down South" someone local to you could probably homecheck and then RU'ers would arrange a bunnyrun with appropriate stop overs en route.

Back