• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes live next door - solution?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I have a family of foxes living next door and they come into the garden every night. I am well aware of the damage they can cause to rabbits and how they can get in. The rabbits are always locked away in their happy hutch at night, and we cover them over at night also. The run is on concrete so the fox couldn't dig in during the day. We were wondering if it would be a good idea to put the rabbit hutch into our shed. We couldn't convert the whole shed into a rabbit haven, but we will be able to fit the hutch in (but only if my dad agrees to it). The shed has a lot of holes between the bits of wood so it'll be plenty airy (holes aren't big enough for rabbit or fox to get in, but we are planning to repair the worst parts of the shed), but should we get special windows (grill on inside with windows that open) rather than static glass (it could heat up too much). It could be closed and locked at night. Is this a more sensible idea than just a hutch?

knowing me id also put wire on the inside of the shed incase they tried to get in :oops:
but i think moving their hutch in their would be better then keeping them outside more exposed,

Tell your dad that the junk he has stored in the shed is no way near as precious as your bunnies lives - buy him a nice tarpaulin to put his junk under:lol::lol:

I would most definately move the hutch into the shed for extra security, but please don't think that a fox will only attack at night - they're just as likely to come in the day once they know food is available.

Personally I would double and triple check the security of my runs, hutch and shed, set up a foxwatch detterent or even move the rabbits indoors - I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing foxes are next door.

I,m afraid that there is NO solution to Foxes:cry:I have them living next door as well:cry:my neighbour has a den in the bottom of her garden:evil:she likes having them so there is nothing that i can do about it:evil:
You just have to learn to live with them:cry:never leave your bunnies out alone or take any chances with their safety as the fox will be waiting:evil:

Tell your dad that the junk he has stored in the shed is no way near as precious as your bunnies lives - buy him a nice tarpaulin to put his junk under:lol::lol:

I would most definately move the hutch into the shed for extra security, but please don't think that a fox will only attack at night - they're just as likely to come in the day once they know food is available.

Personally I would double and triple check the security of my runs, hutch and shed, set up a foxwatch detterent or even move the rabbits indoors - I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing foxes are next door.

how can I make the shed rabbit friendly? The glass/perspex is south facing so will get the sun in the evening, but the rabbits will in their run during the day, and the hutch will be in the shed at night. Is it best to get some grilled windows instead to allow the best airflow?

Back