• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig food for buns?

chloaster

Warren Veteran
I have had someone email me with regards to adopting a bun. At present she feeds them guinea pig royale food - which it turns out has been recommended by her vet - why exactly is it bad for rabbits? Would like to be able to give her a more sensible answer than "because it contains extra vit c" :?

Although why the vet recommended gp royale and not the rabbit one I have yet to find out ....

Sorry - Gloria GP not Royale.

Last edited:
I have just googled it and couldnt find it. My guess would be that it might have a low fibre content maybe?? Is it a pellet food? If not there is always the selective feeding aspect of it??

That's low.....very low. SS is 19% and A&P in 23% (I think from distant memory).

It is low and just had a look at Russel Rabbit and that has 16% fibre content ...

I'd be put off by the fact it includes locust beans which are very high in sugar.

Didn't know that so thanks will add weight to response.

Is there any particular disadvantage to the additional Vit C for bunnies?

I don't know of any harm it actually causes rabbits, just that Rabbits synthisise it in their own bodies so it does not needed to be added. Also I think some rabbit foods are supplimented with Vit D instead to aid with the utilisation of calcium. Although Vit D can be obtained from Natural Daylight so a rabbit with plenty of access to this wouldn't necessarily need this suplimented.

Back