• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nicest,kindest way of getting meds down a bunny.

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
How do you give yours??? Beebee hates meds from a syringe.He goes all stiff and rears up at me in my arms.
Lily is gonna be given quite a bit to take,I hope.
Just want to make sure she doesnt get stressed and upset.
Tips please,would be most welcome.xxx

Make a slit in the top of a sugar snap pea / mange tout, so its like a wee pocket, then put the meds inside and feed bunster the food :)

I have one bunny, Nutmeg, who is very skittish but also if I give her some food I can't always guarantee she will eat it all. So I tend to get her out on the landing on her own, put my knees either side, cross my feet, bend over her and do it this way. It is a bit stressful sometimes and she thumps after but I think that's just the sort of bunny she is. :lol:

What if its liquid?? My lot love herbs and apple and stuff.If I put it on and it smells funny,they wont eat...but thats cos "Humpf! Its got stuff on it...."

My Poppy has metacam. We put it on a few pellets and we have no problems at all. She lives with another rabbit, so we fetch her in for a fuss and give her the medicine. Then we put her back outside and feed both of them.

It was suggested to us to put a bit of the paste medication on the top of their paws. Apparently buns hate having dirty feet and lick them clean thus eating the meds. In theory

banana flavoured baby porridge (comes in a dry mix - you mix it as needs be) on a saucer. The medicine cannot fall off like it can on veg etc. never met a rabbit yet that doesn't love the stuff.

I've found the easiest way is to get it straight in their mouths and then give them a treat afterwards. That way they don't feel tricked, it's over and done with quickly and they get an ss pellet or whatever afterwards so I am forgiven! :)

I have had to do a lot of meds over time so I have pretty much sussed a pin them down and apply quick method but it did take a while.

I've cut a hole in a raisin and put Metacam in that. Baytril was harder as it apparently tastes bad, I've put tiny amounts on a batch of dandelion leaves or let it soak into SS pellets. It took a while to get to know what each bunny would go for. Tink will take baytril on a piece of bread but the others are too fussy.

Our current buns (!) are easily tricked in to eating it on a tasty herb or bit of broccoli but our older bun wouldn't have any of that so he was on the kitchen table, on a folded towel everyday for a syringe in the mouth job. He resigned himself to it and would knuckle down on the towel looking grumpy but I think he forgave me! A corner of digestive biscuit took the taste away!

I've found the easiest way is to get it straight in their mouths and then give them a treat afterwards. That way they don't feel tricked, it's over and done with quickly and they get an ss pellet or whatever afterwards so I am forgiven! :)

I have had to do a lot of meds over time so I have pretty much sussed a pin them down and apply quick method but it did take a while.

I agree with this, get it over and done with quickly, treat afterwards.

Back