• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed (re spay & travelling) UPDATE: Just one more question

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
I've spent about half an hour talking to different vets on the phone and have managed to find what seems to be a really great one! However she's about 30-40 minutes away from where I live :? I'm not sure how Bella would cope with that. Do you reckon it could be a problem? I'm thinking I wouldn't want to stress her out too much right after the spay?

Last edited:
Posy is having her spay today. She is at a vets about 40mins drive from home so the vet has suggested that she stays in tonight and I collect her tomorrow. That way he can be sure she is ok and is eating and pooping before she has a long car journey.

Another question..

They certainly know when they are going to the vets though!:shock:

Oh yeah :shock:

Well I guess I'm just being paranoid as usual but I really want to make sure everything will be ok. I guess I'm still pretty intimidated by the whole thing :oops: But I'm so glad to finally have found a rabbit savvy vet,they're certainly not easy to find :(
She told me she had a 90% success rate,do you reckon that's good? The other 10% were all lost during the operation apparently and not afterwards,so I'm assuming they must have had medical problems that made the anasthetic (sp?) too much to cope with. I didn't ask though. Should I have?

I have to say that I personally feel 90% is not a very good success rate - I think my vet has 'lost' two buns under GA in the last 2 years (ie not just my buns but all buns she ops on). She does a LOT of buns every week and these were ill ones not spays. Where are you?

Oh ok..I suppose I ought to try to find out exactly how many spay operations she has done and why these 10 % were lost. I can't believe I didn't question this earlier when I had her on the phone,I didn't save the number either :roll: I must have lost my marbles!
I live in Sweden unfortunately,and most of the vets over here are completely useless with rabbits,well they are where I live anyway :roll: If I weren't so squeamish I'd become one myself. :oops:

Last edited:
90% isn't good enough i'm afraid. My vet did a lot of research (in Holland) into spaying bunnies. She said the problem with buns is NOT the op but the shock of when they come round. You can never tell how a bun will react.

My vet had lost one in over 80 spays in under a year and that was after the op.

Last edited:
Back