• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cut on neck - Update

daisylou

Warren Scout
Hi

My Nethie, Bojangles, got a tooth out 2 weeks ago and recovered really well. However, after coming home tonight I found him looking very down. I took him out for a cuddle and his is quite cold and wouldn't eat his kale for tea or his favourite treats. I decided I needed to try and look in his mouth as I was worried he was somehow in pain. When I was stroking his neck I noticed matted fur and when I got closer to his neck he jumped away. I have managed to see a little bit and he has either cut himself or some skin has ripped. I can't see too much as it is obviously painful for him and I live by myself so there is no one to help me hold him. There is nothing in his cage that he could have cut himself on.

Is there anything I can do tonight?

Obviously I will take him to the vet first thing in the morning.

Why do these things all happen at once? :.(

Last edited:
If he is cold and not eating he cant wait til tomorrow to see a Vet.
Personally I would contact your Vet now
It is impossible for us to say what the 'cut' on his neck may be without seeing it or having some history of how it occured.

Whilst arranging to get him to the Vet tonight get him warmed up by providing a heat source such as a Snugglesafe. If he is outdoors bring him in.

Good luck

Bojangles and I are just back from the emergency vet. She said his neck is likely to be due to drooling. It's not cut, but there is a lot of bare skin and one patch is very red and it is clearly hurting him.

She looked in his mouth and said that his gum is still a little red (2 weeks after tooth taken out) and she flushed out a little food she thought was stuck in his mouth.

She gave him a painkiller injection and antibiotic injection and I've to give him some recovery food and he'll spend the night on his own so I can see if he is doing the toilet and eating on his own.

She said his stomach was a bit gassy and he may just have been a bit under the weather because of that.

I'm now wondering if I was a bit premature taking him but after how ill he was before his tooth was extracted and how quickly that happened i was very worried.

He is sitting quietly on me just now, normally he would only sit for a couple of mins and then want to explore.

I was told to take him to my normal vet tomorrow. He had only been to that vet the once and I wasn't impressed.

The emergency vet I went to was linked to, but not part of, my vet. Does anyone know if I will get charged a separate consultancy fee tomorrow. I'd pay anything for him but I'm just not sure that particular vet is worth it.

Sorry for the long post.

I hope your Bun is doing better now ?

As far as another Consultation Fee goes I suspect you will be charged again.
But IMO your Bun does need a follow-up examination today.
My concern is that he may have developed an abscess where the tooth was extracted and has therefore not been eating.

Please keep us updated :)

Back