• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie has me worried - weight loss

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Since Autumn left us I have had a very close ey on Charlie.

After Autumn, I put all the buns on panacur, as preventative. Charlie was bony at this point, but soon perked up ater 14 days on wormer. I took them off on the vets advice. Sophie and Granite are fine.

2 weeks ago Sophie went for her booster, so I took Charlie along, and explained he was just a pasanger, but I was worried about him, losing weight and feeling bony. we weighed him and he came in a 1986g, which is pretty respectable.

I went to drop Bluebelle off for her spaying in the morning and Charlie is due for his booster. So we weighted him again and he has lost 150g in 10 days :?
I am really very worried about it now.

Vet suggested bloods to try and pinpoint the problem.

Any suggestions?

Is he drinking more than usual ?

Is he getting his fare share of food ? A Bun with early Dental problems may eat much more slowly compared to their companion. So whilst it looks as though they are 'eating normally' the amount they are actually ingesting may be minimal.

She checked his teeth last time, and there were tiny bits of sharp (she said they wouldn't warrent a dental at that point, which is another reason he went back tonight), but had them checked tonight and all is well.

Drinking seems normal, although I did think the 4some drank quite a lot anyways, I have 2x1litre bottles up, and they drink about a litre between them (3 buns) every 24-36hrs

Sometimes the smallest spurs are enough to slow the rate of Bun's eating so as I said, it may look as though he's eating as normal but is actually eating very little.

There are really several possible causes of weightloss, some serious, some not. But a thorough examination by your Vet is really the best option as all we can do is offer guesses which wont do much other than make you worry more !!

I'd carefully monitor his food intake and poo output. Note if his poos look smaller and/or fewer than normal.
Try to established if he appears to be drinking alot. That combined with weightloss can indicate a kidney or liver problem. But as I say, all we can do is guess. I am certainly not saying I think it is a kidney/Liver problem :)

After another examination your Vet may decide to go ahead with a blood test which may give him/her more information to work on.

Good Luck

I think I might seperate him off for a few days, he is not happy with Granite and Sophie at the minute, and it will give me a better chance to assess what is happening, wether it is that he is not getting a fair share of food, he is drinking too much, size and shame of poohs etc

I think I might seperate him off for a few days, he is not happy with Granite and Sophie at the minute, and it will give me a better chance to assess what is happening, wether it is that he is not getting a fair share of food, he is drinking too much, size and shame of poohs etc

Just not being happy in a group can be enough to cause weightloss. You'd need to monitor the dynamics of the group to see if Charlie is either being bullied or spending a disproportionate amount of time bullying the others.
Some Buns just dont do well in anything but a duo :)

he was happy as a 4some, but just isn't doing well as a 3some :( I might try bonding again with Cherry, see if that makes them both a bit happier

Back